This information is helpful.
Removal Without Key (Bronco, "E" & "F" Series With Tilt Steering)
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove steering column trim shrouds. Tape gap between steering wheel hub and cover casting. Pull out hazard flasher switch and tape it down toward vehicle floor to provide clearance for drilling out lock cylinder retainer pin.
2. Tilt column lock cylinder retaining pin is located on outside of steering column cover casting, adjacent to hazard flasher button. See Fig. 3. Tilt steering column to full up position and pre-punch lock cylinder retaining pin with center punch.
3. Using a right angle drill and a 1/8" (3.17 mm) drill bit, drill out the retaining pin. DO NOT drill deeper than 1/2" (12.7 mm). Tilt steering column to full down position. Place a chisel at base of ignition lock cylinder cap. Using a hammer, strike chisel with sharp blows to break cap away from ignition lock cylinder.
4. Using a 3/8" (9.8 mm) drill bit, drill down middle of ignition lock key slot approximately 1-3/4" (45 mm) until lock cylinder breaks loose from steering column cover casting. Remove ignition lock cylinder. Remove drill shavings from base of cover cast housing.
5. Remove steering wheel and pad. Remove turn signal lever from column and then remove 2 screws from turn signal switch. Remove one screw from key warning buzzer terminal. Lift turn signal switch up and over end of steering shaft but do not disconnect it from wiring harness.
6. Remove 4 screws from cover casting and lift casting over end of steering shaft, allowing turn signal switch to pass through cover casting. Remove upper actuator. Remove drive gear, snap ring, washer and upper actuator from cover casting. Ensure all components are cleaned and free of drill shavings.
NOTE: This procedure is used for removing ignition lock cylinder
when key is missing or cylinder is frozen.
CAUTION: When drilling out retaining pin, take care not to damage cover cast housing or hazard flasher switch.
NOTE: Removal of cover casting will expose upper actuator.
Installation Without Key (Bronco, "E" & "F" Series With Tilt Steering)
Lubricate tang of lock cylinder with grease. Attach upper actuator to lower actuator and lubricate upper actuator. Reassemble cover casting. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Using ignition key, rotate ignition lock cylinder to ensure correct mechanical operation in all positions. Ensure that START circuit cannot be actuated in Drive or Reverse positions.
Monday, December 26th, 2011 AT 11:02 AM