Fuel pump relay location

UNFANGKH
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Needing to find the location of the fuel pump relay for a Ford F-150. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 3:34 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Here is a guide to help you check the relay which is under the hood on the left side fender check out the guide and the diagrams below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+10
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 3:37 PM
JONATHAN HERRING
  • 1987 FORD F-150
1987 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual

my fuel pump relay keeps melting like it grounded somewhere but its not I check everywhere
-2
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:16 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
Check the wires see if they are shorting out. How high amerage is the fuse? Check on the fuel pump inertia switch. Under the vehicle. If you ahve the dual tank model check to make s ure it isnt shorting out at the switch or at the second tank.

They have a tool that you can use to find a short.
+1
JONATHAN HERRING
2CEXPT
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Test the fuel pump relay the inertia switch gets its power from the fp relay-
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:17 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
1987 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Ok here goes again! I fixed spark problem with new ignition module. Start fine and ran fine for 10 minutes then it cutout again.I switched around and tested all relayes under the hood with a test light. All checkout fine but fuel pumps still not running.I went through forums and located the fuel inertia switch above brake pedal and theres no power either side of plugin and theres no power to high pressure inline pump either. Im desperate to get this solved so any help I can get will be greatly appreciated!
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
Ended up being the yellow wire on fuel pump relay. Traced it from relay down to the firewall where I found the factory splice corroded. Fixed that and fuel pumps sprayed like crazy( I forgot it was unhooked)rehooked everything and truck fire on first couple of cranks. Thanks for advice, forums and diagrams!
+6
JOSEPH MCCLAIN
I hate to knock Ford there no reason for Al! The problems with electrical and machnical problems. I afraid to buy a Ford anything. No need for so many cercits in electrial
-2
DIXON1
  • 1987 FORD F-150
My truck has dual tanks and which ever tank is selected and the inline pump continue to run with the switch off also the relay buzzs while the key is off I am totally at a loss over this issue any help will be greatly appreciated. Ok brand new relay, still same issue fuel pump running with the switch off. Changed with the battery disconnected to avoid shorting out the new relay.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:23 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
The pcm grounds the fuel pump relay. If you remove the relay, do the pumps turn off?

1-4) engine compartment

5) engine compartment and under dash

6) under dash and instruments

7) rear compartment and accessories

i'm sure these will not be clear on this site---i will send you a private message to privately obtain your email addressthey are very clear in my downloads

to get to messages

at top of this page click your username> page comes up> look left---you will see messages. Your info is not broadcast world wide in there

i cannot send all in one shot on this site (i just tried, lost a novel I wrote you)---so I will do 2 posts

i cannot copy charts in mitchell i---so if you need to know a component location, tell me what it is, I will search the charts and pass it on back to you

if your truck is a keeper---you might wanna do like I did, with your diagrams---makes it so ez!

See january 4th on this post---my reply that starts out, "ok here's the deal"

message should be a minute or so after I post these 2 posts. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
567

ASEMASTER6371
Nice job CJ

THANK YOU!
DIXON1
Sorry for my lag storm and kids sport have me runnin in circles.
I will answer in order from my last post as best I can
1. Yes if I unplug the relay the pumps will stop but the relay buzzs upon reconnecting until I fully cycle the key
2. Ok sent my address
DIXON1
Ok went out and double checked if I unplug the brown and green pigtails from them 2 relays is the only way both pumps will shut down
there is a 3rd relay with a grey pigtail that has no effect on the pumps that I have noticed
ASEMASTER6371
Got you CJ.

When you pulled the fuel pump relay and the pumps stopped, this means the control side of the relay is staying engaged meaning it is grounded 100% of the time. This is what we have to fix.

Does this have dual tanks? If it does, disconnect the switching valve and connect the relay and make sure the pumps are off. You may have a wiring issue down at the switching valve.

DIXON1
My valve is original ford so there is no electric on the valve at all it works off of fuel pressure
i have an in dash switch that turns power on to either in tank pickup pump
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:24 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
No, the switch operates a switching valve under the truck where the lines all meet. Take another look. If there is a switch on the dash, then there is electric under the truck.

DIXON1
Again this is an 87 all original. I had the valve out 3x already and there is no electrical on the valve what so ever
there are 2 springs within the valve that compress when the pickup pump pressurise against it

Sponsored links