Problem with the 4 wheel drive

FRAZZLEDMOMOF32MANY
  • FORD EXPLORER
I own a 1993 Ford Explorer 4X4 with 155,000 miles on it. My four wheel drive was working fine, no problems, no noises. Then one day it just quit working. When I pushed the button to engage the 4 wheel drive. Nothing. No noise, no light, just nothing. Is there a fuse that might have gone out? If so. Where would it be?
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 8:22 PM

MATHIASO
When a vacuum-operated 4WD does't not shift into 4WD, the engine vacuum maybe low or the vacuum motor at the front differential may be damaged. Another cause could be bad or disconnected vacuum line.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 9:43 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Let me guess 3 kids? :Lol:

MAy be that the brushes in the transfer case motor are dirty and the limits are out of adjustment?

From what I understand there is a position sensor that may be bad or is out of adjustment. Disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes will reset it. Not to say it will fix it, but cheap way to start.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 9:45 PM
MATHIASO
If the indicator light does not illuminate or blink when 4WD is selected, verify its operation by turning on the ignition. The lamp, as well as the other indicator lamps should illuminate for about 2 seconds and then turn off. If the bulb does not light during this check, check the circuitry to the bulb and the bulb itself. If the bulb does illuminate with the ignition, check the circuit for the 4WD.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 10:35 PM
JRIC13
I have the same problem, still working on it on a f-150, look under the hood on the firewall see if you see two valves look the same wire plugs on top vac lines on bottom, I unpluged one set of vac lines and put a small hose between the upper and lower and my 4 wd engages, tells me it is not mechanical, but still trying to find the real problem. Jric
Monday, January 8th, 2007 AT 7:53 AM
SERVICE WRITER
JRIC13 what year is yours. I preety sure the 93 is not vacuum actuated.
Monday, January 8th, 2007 AT 8:06 PM
JRIC13
MINE IS A 1997 F-150, NOT SURE IF YOURS IS VAC OPERATED OR NOT, BUT LOOK UNDER THE TRUCK ON THE FRONT DIFF. YOU SHOULD SEE A LITTLE MOTOR, IF ELECTRICAL TRY CLEANING AND INSPECTING THE WIRES, CHECK FOR VOLTAGE WITH THE SWITCH ENGAGED, MINE HAS TWO VAC LINES, YOURS MAY HAVE WIRES. JRIC
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 7:18 AM
SERVICE WRITER
JRIC13, It's not my truck, it's frazzledmomof32many. However I have a 98 ranger that has had that problem. What I found its the metal vacuum tubes at the wheels corrode. If you pull off the rubber vacuum line clean them up and reinstall the line, you may have luck :)
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 5:01 PM
HEAVYDUTY
That vintage explorer has an electrically shifted transfer case with auto locking hubs. The 4x4 control module is located in the left rear access panel by the jack. The transfer case is pulled into 4 wheel with a magnet and shifted to low with a motor.
Sunday, January 14th, 2007 AT 8:18 PM