Four wheel drive will not engage

RICHARD777
  • 1993 FORD EXPLORER
The four wheel drive will not engage. The light on the dash will not illuminate. Last year it worked intermittently. Now it will not at all. There is no 'clicking' noise from the electrical box in the back left side.

I pushed the white reset button on the electrical box while the car was on and a red light next to the white button illuminated for a minute or so then extinguished. Is this a rest button? I have an extra electrical box that I pulled off a junker. Could it be the switch on the dash? How could I check to see if it is the switch on the dash. Could it be the four wheel drive transfer case motor? I think if it were the case motor, the light on the dash would still go on, meaning the case motor is not the issue.

Thanks! Richard Sherlock

I love this site!
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 7:00 PM

DOCFIXIT
Remove five wire connector and eight from control module. Ignition to "run" push white button if red LED flashes four times then module good. If no light or steady light then module is faulty.
+6
Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
RICHARD777
I checked the control module and it is good. What would you suggest next? The dash switch or something else? Thanks again. Richard
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 3:39 AM
DOCFIXIT
With DVOM back probe terminal two dark blue wire in 5 pin terminal. Engage four wheel drive switch should read twelve or more volts. If so then switch good.
-1
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 6:19 PM
RICHARD777
Okay, going to check now. FYI, The light on the dash does not illuminate in either four wheel drive high or low. That is what is confusing. Okay, I just tested and there is no volts registering on my meter. It seems I would not even need to test it since the lights are not illuminating on the dash? Thanks. Does this now mean it is the switch? Is that easy to replace? Thanks, Richard
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 5:18 PM
KHLOW2008
Does the light on the switch illuminates for either low or four wheel drive mode?
+1
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 3:02 PM
RICHARD777
No, it does not.
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 5:08 PM
KHLOW2008
At the switch, check for battery voltage at terminal #7 (red/yellow wire) with ignition switch turned on.
+1
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 12:45 AM