4 WHEEL DRIVE WILL NOT ENGAGE

• richard777
  • 1993 Ford Explorer

I have a 93 Ford Explorer. The 4 wheel drive will not engage. The light on the dash will not illuminate. Last year it worked intermittently. Now it will not at all. There is no 'clicking' noise from the electrical box in the back left side.

I pushed the white reset button on the electrical box while the car was on and a red light next to the white button illuminated for a minute or so then extinguished. Is this a rest button? I have an extra electrical box that I pulled off a junker. Could it be the switch on the dash? How could I check to see if it is the switch on the dash. Could it be the 4x4 transfer case motor? I think if it were the case motor, the light on the dash would still go on, meaning the case motor is not the issue.

Thanks! Richard Sherlock

I love this site!@

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 7:00 PM

• Docfixit

Remove 5 wire connector and 8 from control module. Ignition to "run" push white button if red LED flashes 4 times then module good. If no light or steady light then module faulty

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
  • richard777

I checked the control module and it is good. What would you suggest next? The dash switch or something else? Thanks again. Richard

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 AT 3:39 AM
  • Docfixit

With DVOM back probe terminal 2 dark blue wire in 5 pin terminal. Engage 4WD switch should read 12v+. If so then switch good

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 6:19 PM
  • richard777

Ok, Going to check now. FYI, The light on the dash does not illuminate in either 4x4 high or low. That's what is confusing. Ok, I just tested and there is no volts registering on my meter. It seems I would not even need to test it since the lights are not illuminating on the dash? Thanks. Does this now meen it is the switch? Is that easy to replace? Thanks, Richard

Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 5:18 PM
  • KHLow2008

Does the light on the switch illuminates for either Low or 4X4 mode?

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 3:02 PM
  • richard777

No, it does not.

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 5:08 PM
  • KHLow2008

At the switch, check for battery voltage at terminal #7 (Red/Yellow wire) with ignition switch turned on.

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 12:45 AM