Engine shuts off while driving

ED0540
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
My engine cuts off while slowing down after the car is accelerating. When I pump the gas there is no response. The car acts as if it is not getting any gas. But when the car is in idle the car runs without any missing or any signs of fuel pump problems. What could cause the car to cut off or lose gas when slowing down?
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 7:42 PM

This sounds like a classic crankshaft angle sensor. Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when doing the job and diagrams below to help you find the sensor location on your car:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Joe
+1
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 5:35 AM
ED0540
Perfect it worked great! I found the sensor on Amazon for $46.00 and replaced it all good. I love this site. Thank you so very much.
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 6:53 AM
A.DANKOVIC
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
We just replaced the fuel pump including the fuel filter. The pump was broken and need to be replaced and the filter was dirty so we replaced it. Now the engine will start but will not stay running especially when you give it gas. Before we replaced everything the vehicle was running real slow when you first started it and you actually had to drive about one mile before it seemed to have enough fuel pressure to work right then it was fine. We have also replaced the fuel relay.
Monday, July 16th, 2018 AT 4:38 PM (Merged)
RACEFAN966
Okay, first off do you know what the fuel pressure is? I would also like you to unplug the mass air flow meter and try to start is see if will stay idling. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
+1
KARRY TILLER
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Has a code P0231 and also EEC relay, what relay? Fuel pump relay gets hot when it shuts off.
The PO231 = Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low. Have you tried replacing the EEC relay?
KELI98632
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
My car was running rough about four months ago, so my husband took it down and got it scanned, my check engine light had been on for a few weeks. The scan told us that the number four cylinder was not firing, so he replaced all of the plugs and plug wires, that fixed that problem but another one popped up. The radiator was losing water and overheating, so we thought I had a blown head gasket, so we tore apart the engine and replaced the drivers side head gasket and for good measure while we were in there we replaced the water pump and thermostat. That fixed that problem but guess what? Another one popped up. The car would not stay running at an idle, and the check engine light came back on. We replaced the throttle positioning sensor hoping that was it but it was not. We took it down and had it scanned again and it said oxygen sensors on the right and left bank, so we replaced those. But it did not fix the problem either. Check engine light came back on and read the EGR valve so we replaced that, no dice. Check engine light came back on and still scans saying EGR valve so we replace it again. Still the same problem. I was told that the catalytic converter could be clogged, so we replaced that. Still my car will not stay running at an idle when it is cold. After it has warmed up it will stay running just fine but I cannot afford the gas to sit in my car with the gas pedal pressed to keep it running for the fifteen minutes it takes to completely warm up. We have tried every thing, please help.
MUSTANG87
Idle control valve.
SLEVEN5
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Truck will idle okay, but when I go to put it in first gear it will stall out a few times. It might go okay but goes back to stalling out. I have change the fuel filter and it has a new fuel pump. After changing the fuel pump truck ran for about one hundred miles then started stalling. Previously truck sat for a year and a half.
LEGITIMATE007
Check your idle air control valve and your crank position sensor.
LILSMITTY13
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
My car wants to shut off every time I come to a stop sign. But if I hold the gas down a little it will stay running. So what could that be?
Could be one of these; idle air control motor/valve, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor-PCV and EGR valves.
JCASSARD
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Once warmed up, this car stalls at every stop. Starts and shuts off immediately. Drives fine, but shuts off if you take your foot off the gas.
Hi.
A couple things can cause this type of problem. Can you tell me if the check engine light is staying on?

Let me know about the light, but to be honest, it is usually one of two things, a vacuum leak or a bad idle air control valve (IAC). The IAC, located on the throttle body, is responsible for maintaining the engine idle speed. This is one symptom of its failure.

Let me know about the light.
JCASSARD
No check engine light, ever.
I suspect either the IAC is going bad or there is an engine vacuum leak.
LEEALURV
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
My SUV started hesitating, bucking, stalling and acting like it was running out of fuel. I had it diagnosed and was told it had a plugged catalytic converter. I replaced it with a re-manufactured one, also replaced the three O2 sensors. It ran better but after ten to twelve miles it would start doing the same bucking etc. I then replaced the ECM and fuel pump relays. Same thing. At times when it acts up, I will shut it off and restart it and it will run fine for several more miles then it starts acting up again. Sometimes I will have to restart it six or seven times before it will run decent for another eight to ten miles. What is happening?
Has the check engine light come on? Has the crank sensor been checked? Has the EEC relay been checked or replaced?
JOHNNY MILLER
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
5.0L 2 wheel drive. Running down the street one second and shut off the next. Connected scanner to ODBII port and scanner can not establish communications link. Have checked all fuses in under hood fuse box. Can hear fuel pump running and have fuel at test port. Have not checked power at PCM yet. Bad PCM? Is there anything surrounding the PCM that I should also check? If I get a new unit do I have to take the car to a dealer to have it correctly programmed? Suggestions?