1995 Ford Explorer 1995 Ford Explorer will not start

CHURCH'S_CUSTOMS
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 and it will not start. I h ave taken it to 4 garages including the ford dealership. It starting acting up a couple of weeks ago. You had to put your key in the accessories and wait till the fuel pump turned on, then it ran for 10-15 secs and then shut off. After it shuts off you can start the car. Now recently the car will not start. The fuel pump will not shut off. Ford did their diagnostic test and it only failed one. The ignition module. They replaced the part and it will still not start. The mechanics have replaced the ECM, ignition module, fuel pressure regulator and did multiple electrical scans. They have had it for 2 weeks now. They tested the fuel pump and said it is fine. Please someone elp me. I have been out of work for 2 weeks because I dont have transportation.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 8:00 PM

DAVE H
Have you checked/replaced the relay? If this is working correctly then you may need to be looking at the actual PCM not grounding the pump out. Checking the signal from PCM?

Fuel Pump Activation
When ignition switch is turned to START position, PCM operates fuel pump relay to provide fuel for starting engine. PCM senses engine speed and shuts off fuel pump by opening ground circuit to fuel pump relay when engine stops or engine speed drops to less than 120 RPM. When ignition switch is in ON position, EEC power relay is energized (contacts closed). Power is provided to fuel pump relay and timer in PCM. Fuel pump receives power through fuel pump relay contacts..
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 9:17 PM
CHURCH'S_CUSTOMS
Thank you! I will take a look at it today. Appreciate your help very much.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 5:44 AM
CHURCH'S_CUSTOMS
Would the PCm be effected if it was cold outside? It starts fine in my garage but when I let it sit outside for a day it wont start.
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 4:16 PM
DAVE H
The PCM shouldn't be affected by the cold ! But i've been going through your first post and it say's you have replaced the PCM/ECM. Your first post also say's the fuel pump will not switch off? That is why I advised to check the relay. It could be the relay sticking. Could you describe the symptoms you have. The more detail the better?
-1
Saturday, January 3rd, 2009 AT 3:46 PM