TRUCK NOT STARTING UNLESS I WIGGLE CABLES.

• shelbynunyabiz
  • 1998 Ford Explorer

So I have a 1998 Ford Explorer that has 102,000 miles on it.
I haven't had any problems with it other than replacing the battery about a year ago.

But just a week ago, I went out to my truck and it didn't start. Me not knowing a thing about cars (I'm a girl) I just wiggled around the battery cables hoping it was some loose connection or something. Well it seemed to work because my truck started and continued to work for the next few days.

Today, it stopped working though. It just wouldn't start. It didn't even click or anything when I turned the key as if it were trying to start.

My friend whom works on cars has a machine that he brought over and it said that my battery was at 12.9 volts. He tried charging it because the machine said that my battery charge was at 0%. So we charged it to around 80% according to the machine, but my truck still wouldn't start. He didn't know how to check the alternator, so he wasn't sure the status on that.

He then wiggled my battery cables around again, and surprisingly my truck started.

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong? He's not sure if it's bad connections or my alternator. Because before, I wasn't having any weird things happen like lights dimming out. Literally it was just dead one day.

Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 3:57 AM

• saturntech9

Have the battery tested at the auto parts store and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight start there.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 4:02 AM
  • KHLow2008

I would say you have a poor connection at the battery trminals. Maybe the cables are not tight against the holder.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 9:08 AM
  • saturntech9

I thought thats pretty much what I said I guess not lol.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 9:16 AM
  • KHLow2008

Yes, maybe I did not read correctly, lol. But I have seen many terminals that are clean and tight but the cable itself has deteriorated against the base. If the base is OEM, they need some recrimping or replacement.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 9:26 AM
  • saturntech9

Deteration wouldnt be clean or tight lol.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 9:49 AM