1994 Ford Explorer black smoke out of exhaust idles low and

DREAMER81080
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
My 94 ford explorer when started will idle low 200 - 600 for a second then turn off if i keep my foot on the gas in netural it will stay running then will run fine for a few then start back to running rough around 200-600 rpms then die unless i keep my foot on the gas in netural idleing around 900- 1500 rpms when idleing but not all the time black smoke (siut) out of the exhaust ?? plz help!!!!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/521213_smoke_1.jpg

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 1:31 PM

MERLIN2021
Is the check engine light on? This happens when cold? Or all the time, even after re starting a hot engine?
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 1:59 PM
DREAMER81080
Yes the light is on when the problem occurs it does it most the time cold or hot it will restart right after it dies. This problem just started a few days ago
Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 5:36 PM
MERLIN2021
First step is to read the codes, Autozone does it free, then post codes found here.
Or try to read the codes yourself: Jump the two termnals shown together and turn key to "ON" and count the flashes... a 22 will flash as 2 flashes then a short pause, then 2 flashes, if more than one code is stored, the pause will be longer. The codes will display three times and end with 11 or 111. Write them down and post here. First do this with the key on engine off, then again with it running.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_OBDI_Connector_1.jpg

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM
DREAMER81080
Okay I will try that.
Here is a few things ive done so far (i have a autoshop next door that helps me out ) ive cleaned the egr vavle, idle control vavle/mortor cleaned intank manafold, air censors were cleaned, and that about it
-1
Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 3:46 PM
MERLIN2021
Things to look at, O2 sensor VERY important, Coolant temp sensor, this acts kind of like a choke for fuel injected cars. Black smoke = too rich, too much fuel.
With 200,000 plus miles I would replace both! After parts replacement remove the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to clear the KAM(keep alive memory) or the computer may not know the new parts are there.
Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 7:01 PM