1992 Ford Explorer Tramsission

• 1 POST

1992 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My truck was not going into gear first thing in morning. Started getting worse and then acted like it wasnt going in overdrive. Got used tranny and put in it did the same thing. Replace valve body. Fixed that problem and know it stopped pulling 3 days ago.
what is up with this. This used tranny was rebuild 6 months ago.

Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 6:41 PM

• 500 POSTS

Not all rebuilt transmissions are created equal. Especially after 6 months of service and a trip through a salvage yard.

From the sound of things, you have another failed transmission on your hands. This may have been caused by debris in the cooler lines. Is important to flush out the cooler lines when replacing a failed transmission. Material given off by failing components can lodge in the trans cooler, and return to a replacement transmission and cause the replacement to fail. Worse yey, if the cooler is blocked or restricted, a replacement transmission will have a short life.

I have rebuilt many of these units, and have had great success, including my own. Mine now has been working perfectly for 5 years since rebuild.

Unfortunately, some rebuilders will overlook some of the really important finer points of the transmission. One of the things that causes early failure is rear unit end play. The direct clutch runs on two delicate rubber seals. Excessive end play will destroy these seals in short order because the direct clutch drum will not run true, and can wobble. Clutch pack clearances are also important. Too loose, and they will jerk on engagement. Too tight, and they will drag and cause early failure.

My best suggestion is to make sure that the cooler is clear, the converter is clean, and start again with a rebuilt unit.

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 5:58 AM