2006 Ford Expedition O2 Sensors

NEYSMITH
  • 2006 FORD EXPEDITION
My car stall out while driving. The mechanic said it was the O2 sensors after hooking it up to the diagnostic machine. Would this cause the car to stall out? It stalled out while on the highway one day, which concerns me.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 9:47 AM

WRENCHTECH
No, he is wrong and probably not even a mechanic. What are the actual code numbers being set?
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:00 AM
NEYSMITH
The codes listed were p2195, p2197 p0174 p0175
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:13 AM
WRENCHTECH
There is some conflicting info there. Your getting codes for both rich and leans condition so if you are correct about the code numbers, then you likely started with a severe rich condition that eventually clogged the O/2 sensors to the point they can only read lean.
At this point you probably have ruined the O/2 sensors due to driving it too long with a rich condition. Your going to have to start with new O/2 sensors and then look for the original problem. Clear the codes after the sensors are replaced and then see what codes reset after replacing the sensors. Then you'll get an accurate picture of what may be the root cause of the problem.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:25 AM
NEYSMITH
Thank you so much, how long does that usually take to repair?
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:36 AM
WRENCHTECH
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. You haven't found your problem yet. You are just repairing the additional damage you did by continuing to drive it that way.
This is going to be a couple hundred dollar expense that wasn't necessary until the original problem was ignored. The sensors can be replaced is less than an hour but then the real diagnosis starts.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 10:40 AM