Engine Sputtering

JD.BRYANT@YAHOO.COM
  • 2005 FORD EXPEDITION
The engine sputters while it's idling & driving? Is it something with the fuel?
Sunday, October 11th, 2009 AT 11:23 AM

It sounds like one of the fuel injectors has gone bad here are two guides to help you see what's going on. Lets scan for codes first.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-fuel-injector

Please run down these guides and report back

Cheers

Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 8:29 PM
LAURIE HODGE
Thank you for this post I scanned the engine and it gave me a #3 cylinder misfire so I changed the injector problem gone. I love this site.
Thursday, November 1st, 2018 AT 6:35 PM
AMHARKNESS
  • 2005 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a 2005 Expedition with 110,000 miles on it. This past week it has started to shudder while accelerating between 1 and 1.5 RPMS. Usually it only occurs going uphill, but also on occasion while driving on level road. Once you increase RPMs and change gears the shuddering stops. Just yesterday the service engine light came on, but when I took it to the auto parts store to have the computer pull up the codes, no code came up. We have changed out the transmission fluid this morning. But there is still a shudder, although it changes gears smoothly again. And this evening, while driving home the shuddering started up again and the service engine light started blinking again. Are there any ideas on what could be the problem.
Thursday, November 1st, 2018 AT 6:36 PM (Merged)
Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following:

1. Defective spark plug
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
10. Throttle position sensor.
11. Manifold absolute pressure sensor
+1
AMHARKNESS
Thank You. Im going to print this out, and go down the list.
+2
JACKMAN23
  • 2005 FORD EXPEDITION
Sometimes when I drive my truck while i'm driving the truck begins to stutter while i'm pressing on the gas petal lightly. Now if it does this I press the gas a little harder and the stuttering goes away. What does this mean?
Hi:
My first guess would be a weak or bad coil pack. Have the computer scanned to see if there is a code. Most nationally recognized parts stores will do it for free. If they find a code, "Random Misfire Cyl." Replace both the coil pack and the plug.
JRICHARDSON
Does it feel/sound as if you were driving over small caution bumps on the side of the road? You may want change the transmission fluid. I had a similar problem with an 05 Expedition, had the fluid changed and the problem went away.
TERRYS
  • 2005 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, Can this be caused by the catalytic converter? It all started with a rattling when its in gear. Now it doesnt want to go when its in drive or reverse.
Scan for codes, check fuel pressure first also check vacuum at intake if 15" or below at idle suspect clogged converter
JESS6990
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
So, my husband and I bought a 2002 Ford Expedition Triton XLT and it has started sputtering when accelerating/idoling. I'm not sure what it may be. There is no check engine light on and it seems to only happen when the engine is warm, not when the car is just turned on and still cold. Any suggestions? Thanks.
If the check engine light isn't coming on, then I would recommend checking fuel pump pressure.

Here is a how to:

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

You will need a gauge. Most parts stores will lend or rent them.

Let me know what you find.
-1
JESS6990
It turns out that the engine was misfiring and we needed new ignition coils and new spark plugs which cost us a pretty penny for a V8. Thanks for the suggestion!
I hope they didn't replace all of the coils. That can be really expensive and all of them being bad is very unlikely. Plus, you could have changed them yourself. THere is only one 10mm bolt that holds them on.

Let me know.

-1
Thursday, November 1st, 2018 AT 6:37 PM (Merged)
JESS6990
Yeah, they did replace them all, they recommended that they all be changed, and yes, it cost us about $1,000. But my husband called me today and said that the car was having the same problem, only worse this time, and we just had it worked on 4 days ago. Is it possible that they didn't replace them properly? What could be the problem this time around? Sincerely, Frustrated :(
I hate to hear that! We have owned one for years. I had one coil go bad, and the others are the original and working perfect. Also, I have worked on many of these. Never have I seen a need to replace all of them. I think the most I ever did was two.

Has the check engine light come on this time? Did they check the crankshaft sensor? Also, if the check engine light didn't come on, I recommend checking the fuel pump pressure. I left you the how to link on one of my other postings.

Let me know if the light is on before doing anything else. I'll do my best to help you figure this out and it won't cost anything but your time and maybe a part or two.

Let me know.

BDOTMARTIN
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
  • RWD
I started my truck this morning and went to hit the acceleration and the truck sputters alittle. I replaced the spark plugs a year ago, but not the wires/ coil packs. Can someone help me with answer's, because I really don't want to pay a mechanic if it is a diy project.
JESS6990
Well, we took the car back to the shop today and it turns out that one of the coils had popped off and it was banging around, that's what was causing the noise. They apologized and fixed it at no cost to us. So far, so good, but it's only been a few hours, so we will see. Thanks for all your help.
+1
The only thing you can do to start is to have the diagnostic fault codes read and recorded. The people at most auto parts stores will do that for you for free. That's where the mechanic would start.
I'm glad you got it taken care of. However, in the future, please let us know if you have questions. We will be here to help. It still upsets me that they replaced parts that were most likely still good and it wasn't a cheap fix.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com, and let us know if you have questions in the future. We will walk you through the testing and repair process and save you a ton of money.

Thanks again,

+1