2000 Ford Expedition Sputtering when accelerating

BEAGLEFACE
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
My 2000 Expedition sputters when accelerating. Is this a clogged fuel filter, injector or timing belt problem?
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 3:59 PM

Hi:
Before considering a fuel problem, what size V8 is it and is the check engine light on?

-2
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 7:43 PM
(HELP)
Has anyone "washed" your engine?
If it just shakes alot it's (probably) a COP (coil-on-plug) or spark plug failing.
If it FALLS FLAT -check fuel pressure - it's very easy - there's a shrader valve (like a tire valve) on the top of engine - just slip a guage under the wiper and go, being careful not to turn on the wiper if it's raining.
To check COP's (and other ignition/fuel checks) you'll need to have a scan tool that shows at least a code for what cylinder to check, or better yet that shows crank speed and tells which cylinder(s) not contributing in real time.
These are both common problems and is where I would start. (There are many more [less common] things that happen)
If you pull a COP out and the boot has a big crack - replace ALL the boots. (COP's are OK)
If pressure IS going away don't just replace the filter, replace the pump at this mileage if not been done before.
+3
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 8:30 PM
JHERD
My 2000, 2WD, EB, 4.6L Expedition 139,000 miles sputters idle, in gear and while driving. Fuel system cleaner has no affect. Appears I would have to disconnect the fuel injection to change spark plugs. I posted my own question as well. Can someone confirm the need to disconnect Fuel injection to change plugs?
-1
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 5:03 PM
Hi:
You should be able to work them out without removing the fuel rails. I have the 5.4 and thought the same thing, but was able to do it.
-1
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 5:29 PM