2004 Ford Expedition rattling noise from underneath

PATTYM24
  • 2004 FORD EXPEDITION

Noises problem
2004 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 54,000 miles

I've got an '04 Expedition with about 110k miles on it. Just last week, it began making a noise while traveling at highway speeds. After a couple hundred miles or so, this is what I've observed:
The noise:
has not occured below 55 mph
has not occured above 80mph (don't usually drive above that)
occurs both while towing a small trailer and with nothing in tow
usually begins as a shift point is approached, but continues after the transmission completes the shift
happens much more often while going uphill than when going downhill
if allowed to "build", the noise will develop into an irregular thump that can be felt in the floor by both driver and front passenger
ALWAYS goes away when I take my foot off the gas. Always. Never fails

Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 11:25 PM

MERLIN2021

Check all rubber mounts, tranny tailshaft, motor, and even body and frame mounts.

-1
Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 6:39 AM
PATTYM24

I mistakenly put 110, but it is 54 K. PLLEASE help if you have any idea, I just boughtthis 2 weeks ago. It only does this when it is warmed up. Noy withn first 10-15 min of driving

Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 6:40 AM
PATTYM24

Thank you, but can I do this myself, as a novice or should I take it somewhere?

Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 6:48 AM
MERLIN2021

Patty, as a novice checking the mounts may be better left to a pro.

Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 7:11 AM
PATTYM24

I have a 12k, 12 month warranty on drivetrain only, does this fall under that category, or shall I take it to my mechanic?

Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 8:41 AM
MERLIN2021

Engine and tranny mounts are covered under "drivetrain".

Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 7:50 AM
PATTYM24

It only does it when the car is warm, (running more than 5 or 10 min) could that be any other concern?

Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 2:29 PM
MERLIN2021

As you must know, the hardest type of problem to solve over the internet are "funny noises". Yes it could be something else, but if it has a 12 month warranty, let them tell you what it is and if they will cover it, tip: Dont take no for an answer!

Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 4:19 PM
PATTYM24

What is a cracked face plate? They checked all the mounts, etss, or atleast said so, but I got it back yesterday and it still made the same noise. Someoene said could be that and you could end up sitting if you dont get it fixed?

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 6:15 AM
MERLIN2021

Cracked flexplate? New term for the old flywheel, that would most definatly drivetrain. It's bolted to the crankshaft, and the torque converter for the tranny bolts to that. Any strange noises while cranking during start up?

-1
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 1:53 PM
PATTYM24

No noise on startup, It ONLY happens when the car is warmed up and is accelarating or going up a hill.

Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 7:23 PM
MERLIN2021

OK Patty if there are no noticable performance issues, it could be as simple as a loose heat shield on on of your catalytic converters, these can be re-welded, or replaced with a new clamp on replacement. Wish I could take a look and maybe save you a few bucks.A quick inspection is all that needs to happen!

Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
PATTYM24

Ok here's the one thing I forgot. It didnt do it when it was in awd, only 2wd. Could that be a specific issue? As always, Thank You :))

Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 11:05 AM
MERLIN2021

I am going to sugest that you drive to the dealer you bought it from, this will warm it up to where you should be able to take someone for a test drive to reproduce the noise, then have them fix it B4 The warranty runs out.

Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 3:40 PM
PATTYM24

Well I got it back for the 2nd time, and it is still doing it. Shifts fine, but does it up hillin 2nd gear, only in 2wd, does not do it in AWD?

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 6:13 PM
MERLIN2021

There are two technical service bullitens on Expedition and Navigator, both for suspension problems, one is related to the compressor being too loud, and too much vibration, the other is for ride hieght sensor arms disengaging from the control arm on the front, or the axle on the rear, is the truck leaning to one side? Or sagging in the rear?

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 2:33 PM
PATTYM24

No there is no sagging of any kind. Did notice now that the front end is outof alignment. They are having a tough time figuring it out. They replaced the hubs on the front, tighned some bolts, but it is still doing it?

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 2:39 PM
MERLIN2021

Read this entire thing, it sounds like your concern, right down to the alignment issue, This is a known problem with the lower shaft...I will email the entire TSB so you can print it and bring it with you to the repair shop.
CLUNK, POP, CREAK OR TICK NOISE FROM STEERING COLUMN TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 04-26-23, Date of Issue: December 31, 2004 Superceded Bulletin(s): 04-16-14, Date of Issue: August 23, 2004 Related Ref Number(s): 04-16-14, 04-26-23 ARTICLE BEGINNING DESCRIPTION CLUNK, POP, CREAK OR TICK NOISE FROM STEERING COLUMN ISSUE Some 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built before 10/18/2004 may exhibit a clunk, pop, creak, or tick noise coming from the steering column. The noise may occur during acceleration, deceleration and/or while going over bumps, and is most noticeable after the vehicle is warmed up. The tick noise may occur when rapidly and repeatedly turning the steering wheel to the left or right. ACTION For a clunk, pop or creak condition, it may be necessary to replace the lower intermediate steering shaft. For a tick condition, inspect the upper-to-lower intermediate shaft union. Refer to the correct Service Procedure based on symptom. SERVICE PROCEDURE - CLUNK, POP OR CREAK 1. Road test the vehicle to verify the condition. 2. If condition is verified, replace the lower intermediate steering shaft following the service procedure in Workshop Manual Section 211-04. Torque the upper-to-lower intermediate shaft bolt to 40 lb-ft (55 N.m). FORD: 2003-2005 Expedition LINCOLN: 2003-2005 Navigator NOTE: This article supersedes TSB 04-16-14 to update the Service Procedure and affected model years. NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADD GREASE TO THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT TO RESOLVE THE CONDITION. NOTE: BE SURE THE VEHICLE IS AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE DURING VERIFICATION. NOTE: CHECK BUILD DATE CODES ON THE REPLACEMENT SHAFT PRIOR Page 1 of 3 CLUNK, POP, CREAK OR TICK NOISE FROM STEERING COLUMN -2004 Ford Ex...SERVICE PROCEDURE - TICK
Turn steering wheel rapidly and repeatedly to the left or right while parked to verify the condition.
If the condition is verified, inspect the upper-to-lower intermediate shaft union and re-torque the bolt to 40 lb-ft (55 N.m).
If the noise is still present, follow normal diagnostics. PARTS INFORMATION
TO INSTALLATION. ONLY INSTALL PARTS BUILT AFTER DATE CODE 0410080X (OCTOBER 8, 2004). THE LAST TWO DIGITS OF THE DATE CODE (0X) INDICATE THE SHIFT IN WHICH THE PARTS WERE BUILT (X CAN EQUAL 1, 2, OR 3).SERVICE PROCEDURE - TICK
TO INSTALLATION. ONLY INSTALL PARTS BUILT AFTER DATE CODE 0410080X (OCTOBER 8, 2004). THE LAST TWO DIGITS OF THE DATE CODE (0X) INDICATE THE SHIFT IN WHICH THE PARTS WERE BUILT (X CAN EQUAL 1, 2, OR 3).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Shaft_1.jpg

-1
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 4:20 PM
PATTYM24

Can it be the steeeing column if its under the drivers seat

+1
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 2:17 PM
MERLIN2021

Vibrations can travel to other sites, but this is a known problem, so lets start by checking that. Any brake work on the rear brakes yet? A severly warped rotor will be felt in the seat area.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 2:56 AM