RATTLING NOISE FROM UNDERNEATH

2004 Ford Expedition

pattym24

July, 24, 2009 AT 11:25 PM

Noises problem
2004 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 54,000 miles

I've got an '04 Expedition with about 110k miles on it. Just last week, it began making a noise while traveling at highway speeds. After a couple hundred miles or so, this is what I've observed:
The noise:
has not occured below 55 mph
has not occured above 80mph (don't usually drive above that)
occurs both while towing a small trailer and with nothing in tow
usually begins as a shift point is approached, but continues after the transmission completes the shift
happens much more often while going uphill than when going downhill
if allowed to " build", the noise will develop into an irregular thump that can be felt in the floor by both driver and front passenger
ALWAYS goes away when I take my foot off the gas. Always. Never fails

merlin2021

July, 25, 2009 AT 6:39 AM

Check all rubber mounts, tranny tailshaft, motor, and even body and frame mounts.

pattym24

July, 25, 2009 AT 6:40 AM

I mistakenly put 110, but it is 54 K. PLLEASE help if you have any idea, I just boughtthis 2 weeks ago. It only does this when it is warmed up. Noy withn first 10-15 min of driving

pattym24

July, 25, 2009 AT 6:48 AM

Thank you, but can I do this myself, as a novice or should I take it somewhere?

merlin2021

July, 25, 2009 AT 7:11 AM

Patty, as a novice checking the mounts may be better left to a pro.

pattym24

July, 25, 2009 AT 8:41 AM

I have a 12k, 12 month warranty on drivetrain only, does this fall under that category, or shall I take it to my mechanic?

merlin2021

July, 26, 2009 AT 7:50 AM

Engine and tranny mounts are covered under " drivetrain".

pattym24

July, 26, 2009 AT 2:29 PM

It only does it when the car is warm, (running more than 5 or 10 min) could that be any other concern?

merlin2021

July, 26, 2009 AT 4:19 PM

As you must know, the hardest type of problem to solve over the internet are " funny noises". Yes it could be something else, but if it has a 12 month warranty, let them tell you what it is and if they will cover it, tip: Dont take no for an answer!

pattym24

July, 29, 2009 AT 6:15 AM

What is a cracked face plate? They checked all the mounts, etss, or atleast said so, but I got it back yesterday and it still made the same noise. Someoene said could be that and you could end up sitting if you dont get it fixed?

merlin2021

July, 29, 2009 AT 1:53 PM

Cracked flexplate? New term for the old flywheel, that would most definatly drivetrain. It's bolted to the crankshaft, and the torque converter for the tranny bolts to that. Any strange noises while cranking during start up?

Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado