2002 Ford Expedition Sputtering when accelerating

JESS6990
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
So, my husband and I bought a 2002 Ford Expedition Triton XLT and it has started sputtering when accelerating/idoling. I'm not sure what it may be. There is no check engine light on and it seems to only happen when the engine is warm, not when the car is just turned on and still cold. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 1:48 PM

If the check engine light isn't coming on, then I would recommend checking fuel pump pressure.

Here is a how to:

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

You will need a gauge. Most parts stores will lend or rent them.

Let me know what you find.
-1
Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM
JESS6990
It turns out that the engine was misfiring and we needed new ignition coils and new spark plugs which cost us a pretty penny for a V8. Thanks for the suggestion!
-1
Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 8:22 PM
I hope they didn't replace all of the coils. That can be really expensive and all of them being bad is very unlikely. Plus, you could have changed them yourself. THere is only one 10mm bolt that holds them on.

Let me know.

-1
Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 9:56 PM
JESS6990
Yeah, they did replace them all, they recommended that they all be changed, and yes, it cost us about $1,000. But my husband called me today and said that the car was having the same problem, only worse this time, and we just had it worked on 4 days ago. Is it possible that they didn't replace them properly? What could be the problem this time around? Sincerely, Frustrated :(
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM
I hate to hear that! We have owned one for years. I had one coil go bad, and the others are the original and working perfect. Also, I have worked on many of these. Never have I seen a need to replace all of them. I think the most I ever did was two.

Has the check engine light come on this time? Did they check the crankshaft sensor? Also, if the check engine light didn't come on, I recommend checking the fuel pump pressure. I left you the how to link on one of my other postings.

Let me know if the light is on before doing anything else. I'll do my best to help you figure this out and it won't cost anything but your time and maybe a part or two.

Let me know.

Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 10:05 PM
JESS6990
Well, we took the car back to the shop today and it turns out that one of the coils had popped off and it was banging around, that's what was causing the noise. They apologized and fixed it at no cost to us. So far, so good, but it's only been a few hours, so we will see. Thanks for all your help.
Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 6:54 PM
I'm glad you got it taken care of. However, in the future, please let us know if you have questions. We will be here to help. It still upsets me that they replaced parts that were most likely still good and it wasn't a cheap fix.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com, and let us know if you have questions in the future. We will walk you through the testing and repair process and save you a ton of money.

Thanks again,

Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM