Transmission replacement

DMARTELL
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
Six cylinder four wheel drive automatic 108,000 miles.

I started having problems with the transmission on my vehicle. When I put it into drive the rpm's rev very high like it is starting in high gear. When I manually place it in first gear I can start to drive. I can then shift to second and then to drive which allows me to drive the car, although it feels like I am going from second to fourth gear in that process. Reverse works okay. I took it to a repair shop and they told me the transmission needs to be replaced. Do you agree? What would it cost to rebuild the transmission? The shop told me it would cost between $3,200.00 and $3,800.00 to replace it with a rebuilt one (they will not rebuild mine).
Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 5:39 PM

Chances are they are correct. As far as the cost, that sounds high. However, I do not know where you live. I would estimate around $2,500.00. I would also recommend finding someone who can rebuild your transmission. That should help you save money.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
LINDA A
Wow. We have a Ford Escape (2002). About one year or earlier after buying it, we began to have the same problems that you described. Because our vehicle was still under warranty, we had a new transmission placed in our Escape by Ford. After repeated problems with the same difficulties, Ford put in a "fix". Following thorough research and discovering that Ford had a history of problems with transmissions I became a relentless 'pit-bull.' You may want to ask the dealer (if you bought your vehicle there about the fix for transmission (valve fix). Since our transmission was fixed with their repair we have had no problems.
+2
Monday, January 4th, 2010 AT 9:24 PM
ZAMO95
I had a transmission problem with mine too about four years ago, but different issue and different transmission, mine was an automatic had overdrive light on for a while then started making noises and finally shut off on the road, of course was out of warranty.
I asked for dealer they wanted to charge me few hundred dollars just to diagnose the problem then if it need to replace the transmission they said over $3,000.00.
So I made some researches online until I came across this random guy who had a transmission shop, sent him an e-mail, he then called for more questions, scheduled a pick up because he had free towing, took the car did not know him or anything two days later he called said it will cost $1,400.00 and two year warranty, I agreed four days later called to get the car, everything went smooth and had my car fixed and still running fine like before.

So take your time and do not let people take advantage of you.
+6
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:24 PM
Good advice!
+2
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 1:50 PM