Fuel pump replacement

MORGAN LITTLE
  • 1989 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Hi, fuel is not getting to first or second fuel filter. So i'm thinking that it's the pump.
in most other cars the pump is under the seat but mine is not.
just wondering if I would have to drop the tank or not. Thanks
Saturday, November 21st, 2020 AT 3:11 PM

MORGAN LITTLE
175,008 km, sorry.
Saturday, November 21st, 2020 AT 3:13 PM
KASEKENNY1
I am attaching the process from the USA version of the Lancer. They did not offer the Lancer in the USA in this year so we don't have that specific vehicle but the Galant was basically the same vehicle. You are correct that this is removed from under the vehicle.

As for the issue, I am not sure this is a pump issue. If it is running like that with all that blue/white smoke I think you have other issues.

I would start with checking the fuel pressure before you replace the pump.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Once we know what the pressure is we can determine the next steps. However, I would start with checking the compression and going from there.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Let us know and we can go from there. Thanks
+1
Saturday, November 21st, 2020 AT 4:11 PM
MORGAN LITTLE
Hi, thanks. We got fuel going to the filters now, but fuel is not going to the cylinders and the smoke has stopped as well. We think it's an electrical problem.
Saturday, November 21st, 2020 AT 7:45 PM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. I am not sure this is the issue because how is the vehicle running if you don't have fuel going through to the cylinders? If the vehicle is running but running poorly then you have spark and fuel but maybe they are weak but again, if the engine is running then you have fuel.

Maybe I am not understanding the issue so let us know what we are missing. Thanks
+1
Sunday, November 22nd, 2020 AT 6:03 PM
MORGAN LITTLE
Sorry didn t add that we are dumping fuel into the intake and when we do it s sounds and runs good.
Sunday, November 29th, 2020 AT 10:32 PM

Sponsored links