Fans are not working engine getting hot

MELISSA RENI WILLIAMS
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
Fans are not working. Wanting to know how to test the temperature sensor.
Thursday, June 18th, 2020 AT 5:27 PM

Hi,

Testing the engine coolant temperature sensor is done using a live data scan tool. If you have access to one, simply plug it into the data link connector under the dash, go to live data, and check what signal the sensor (ECT) is sending to the computer. If the engine is at operating temperature, it should be around 200 F. The fans are designed to turn on at 210 F.

Melissa, have you checked fuses and relays? Does the fan come on with the AC?

There are two fuses and two relays in the under hood fuse box. Check them if you haven't. I attached two pics identifying them and showing locations.

Here are a couple links you may find helpful.

In addition to just checking a fuse, make sure there is power to it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,

Thursday, June 18th, 2020 AT 7:50 PM
MELISSA RENI WILLIAMS
The fuses have been checked and one relay had to be replaced. The fans do not come on when air is on either. I was told I needed to get new fans. It was checked with a volt meter but car was not on. I don't know if that even matters. Someone else told me to clean the temperature sensor first. I don't know what I should do. My daughter's car she is a single parent of 2 and works home health. Don't have much money to replace everything. Maybe you can still tell me what we should. Do thank you so much.
Thursday, June 18th, 2020 AT 10:56 PM
The fans may be bad. We have two choices here to check them. First, you can check if the fans are getting power when they should be on. Second, you can run power directly to them to see if they run.

As far as cleaning the sensor, don't waste your time. The sensor works off resistance which is affected by heat. Cleaning it will likely do nothing.

Friday, June 19th, 2020 AT 8:45 AM

Sponsored links