Engine cooling system

UNKNOWNKCP
  • 2002 SUBARU OUTBACK
  • AWD
H6 vdc model.

Recent overheat issue. Discovered lower hose had a hole in it and leaked coolant out. Also noticed the radiator cap was broken. I am not sure if pieces of the radiator cap are stuck in the radiator.

I grabbed generic parts lower hose and screw clamps. Replaced the lower hose, but did not reinstall the thermostat. Filled with distilled water 1.5 gallons almost. I did not put thermostat back in to see if the thermostat was stuck and tried to run the motor without the radiator cap.

Cold motor start result: Radiator cap was off and I started the cold motor. I had a leak at both ends of the hose and the almost 1.5 gallons of water started to fountain/volcano out of the open radiator with no cap.

1. Does that mean my water pump is still good, since I got fluid blowing out the radiator(cap was off)? There is no leak at the weep hole/water pump.

2. Since the water was literally blowing out of the top of the radiator(with no radiator cap and cold engine) does that mean the fluid was backing up at the top and there pieces of radiator cap lodged in the radiator?
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 12:37 PM

STEVE W.
Water coming out like that means you have bad heads gaskets. Very common issue on a Subaru engine that has been run hot, they go bad during normal use as well but overheating makes them fail much faster. Not a real hard job if you know Subaru's and have the tools. Lot's of videos about that job online if you want to see what is involved.
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 2:43 PM