1998 Dodge Stratus car overheating

DCAMEZZO
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
I have repaired several things and the car continues to overheat. Have recently replaced both heater hoses and thermostat. After taking the car home, was missing, so we took it back in for a complete tune up. Ran fine for a couple of weeks. Now overheating again. This is my daughters car - needs to be reliable!

Also, during hot weather, driving along, the engine just cuts out. You can pull over and turn off the engine for a minute or two and it starts again. But not good to be driving on the interstate and possibly cut out.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 1:05 PM

MERLIN2021
Start with the cooling fan(s) do they come on when the car warms up? Do they start when the A/C is turned on?
As far as you can tell is the car loosing coolant?
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 2:37 PM
DCAMEZZO
Not losing coolant. I have seen several things on the internet about checking the fans. That was going to be the next thing.
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 5:54 PM
MERLIN2021
Also beware, Chrysler uses waterpumps with plastic impeller blades, these do crack.
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 11:54 AM