2002 Dodge Stratus CAR OVERHEATING BUT NOT LOSING ANTIFREEZ

LEEKINS
  • 2002 DODGE STRATUS
My 2002 Dodge Stratus overheats after traveling 30 to 45 minutes. The radiator overflows into the overflow tank thus causing the over flow tank to overflow. This is the only antifreeze I lose. If I use my car for short distances is does not overheat. I have taken it to a garage who did a diagnostic test on it and tells me it could either be a headgasket or one of the cyclindars is gone. They verified that the cooling fans are operating normally. They did a compression test and found cyclindar 4 low & cyclindar 2 blowing bubbles in coolant. If it does require a headgasket or replacement of cyclindars would it be wise to just replace the motor with a rebuilt motor? Is it possible that the water pump is gone? What other possibilities are there for the car to overheat?
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 11:27 AM

That is a very interesting diagnosis you got. How do they know cylender 2 is blowing bubbles in the coolant? There is no way to see that. Also, other than the overheating, is the engine running good? Has the thermostat been replaced? To answer your last question, the head gasket would be much cheaper, but I question their diagnosis.

Let me know.

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 12:11 AM
LEEKINS
Yes I replaced the thermostat. Could I have put it in wrong. It fit right in.

The said the diagonastic determined that.

You are now the second person who didn't agree with the diagnosis. The car is running good. No issue with the exception of the overheating. What is my best course of action?
+1
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 8:17 AM
Are you sure you didn't put the thermostat in upside down? It will overheat if that happens.

Let me know.

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 11:04 PM
MULDOON
Does the car overheat with the A/C on, let us know, Declan.
+1
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 9:10 PM
In the original post, it is mentioned that the vehicle overheats.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 12:06 PM
MULDOON
Mine does not overheat with A/C on, but gets very hot when I do not use A/C, fans seems to work okay, is there a low and high speed on the relay on cooling fan, thank you Declan.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 5:19 PM
The fans will come on with the AC. Do they run with it off?
-1
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:38 AM
MULDOON
The a/c fan does not come on when a/c is off but the other fan comes on intermitingly, I cleaned out the radiador and changed ct sensor does not show hot on dash but feels very hot on hoses and reserve bottle bubbles, termostat was replaced twice and put in properly, Declan.
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:56 AM
Are you using coolant in the vehicle or water? Also, have you checked for head gasket problems? If the one fan is coming on and everything is good, my next thought is the headgasket.
+1
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
MULDOON
The oil looks clean, but I am praying, thank you declan.
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 10:45 PM
One last thing I can think of. Check the trans fluid to make sure it is clean and full. The trans cooler runs through the radiator and coolant could be entering the radiator if there is an internal leak.

Let me know.
+1
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 11:07 PM
MULDOON
I am not loosig coolant but the engine runs hot only when the A/C is not running but cooling fan seems to run but I will watch tranny fluid thank you Declan.
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 6:47 AM
Let me know if you have other questions in the future. I will say, the reason the AC prevents it from overheating is because the fan stays all the time.
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 8:46 PM
MULDOON
Awesome thank you, Dec.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 10:22 AM
MRXEMERICA690
When they tested all the cylinders did they do a "cylinder leakage test"? Because that would indicate that a head gasket may be the cause. Or the head is cracked. But I would defiantly just replace the head gasket.
+1
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 AT 1:11 PM