1999 Dodge Ram radio shut off

Tiny
RICK HILL
  • MEMBER
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
  • V8
  • 4WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 102,000 MILES
After using OBD tester to get engine codes the radioo now stays on after ignition is turned off. Any ideas? Thanks
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 9:43 AM

4 Replies

Tiny
CARADIODOC
  • EXPERT
Is this a Chrysler original radio? If so, which model do you have. Have you tried anything else that normally works in the accessory position such as the wipers or heater fan?

Caradiodoc
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 12:21 AM
Tiny
RICK HILL
  • MEMBER
Yes it is a stock radio. Don't know model # it has cd, cassette, the wipers and heater will shut off if they are being used, when key is in off position and removed radio is still on I use power shut off on radio to turn it off. All other accessories will turn off.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:17 AM
Tiny
CARADIODOC
  • EXPERT
I buy, sell, and repair a lot of radios at the nation's second largest old car show, and the Chrysler cd / cassette combo radio is by far my most popular model because of its very high quality. Sorry to say though, of the common problems, this ain't one of 'em. I'd be happy to look at it for you, but I have a feeling the problem isn't in the radio.

There is an easy test to perform first. Pull the radio out and unplug it. Then use a voltmeter or test light to check for voltage in the gray plug. There will be a pink wire on the end away from the keyway. It should have battery voltage all the time. The next wire is red, and it will likely have a stripe. That wire must not have battery voltage until the ignition switch is turned on. If it does, the cause must be found in the wiring harness. If the voltage goes to 0 volts when the ignition switch is off, there indeed must be a problem in the radio.

With all the circuits being complicated unnecessarily with unreliable computers, it's hard to tell what could work if the radio power circuit remains live. Overheated wires melted together at the ignition switch connector are a possibility but other systems should remain on too. That is unless they also need to have a compujter turned on to operate. That might apply to the wipers, but the cigarette lighter is on the same circuit. I don't think the silly engineers added a computer to he lighter, ... Yet, so to be safe, try the lighter when the ignition switch is turned off. If it works, check the ignition switch and wiring connector.

Caradiodoc
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 10:55 AM
Tiny
RICK HILL
  • MEMBER
Caradioodoc Thanks for replying to post. I will try what you said and I also suspect maybe it is in the ignition switch, again thanks for your input.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 11:27 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides