1998 Dodge Ram radio has lost power

THOSFREEMAN
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
Can't determine why my radio won't work. Fuse is good. Replaced Dodge Ram factory with cd player some 3 years ago. As quality lessened (reception) decided to put original factory installed radio back in in its place. Worked fine. One day, quit working. Tried old CD player radio. Would not work either. Fuse is good. Can't determine cause.

As evidence of my unemployment, I feel I can only donate $10.00. Further evidence of my unemployment and limited income is my 98 Dodge Ram with 408,000 miles. I appreciate your help so much and will gladly donate more as income allows.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 10:57 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Check for power on connector C1 terminals 6 red/white wire 7 pink wire.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 12:57 PM
THOSFREEMAN
I'm, unfortunately, very green when it comes to electronics. I found a set of wires that plug into the radio. They are junctured together with a gray plug that plugs into the back of the radio. There is a pink wire and one that is red and white (both colors on the same wire). There is not a separate white and separate red. Nor is there any of the 3 colors on the other wires that go into another plug (black in color ) that also plugs into the radio.

I put a circuit tester on the pink and the white and red one, but did not get a light (with the accessory switch/ignition on). I'm assuming that I'm grounding the test light properly? Grounded to door hinge on driver's side door. Thanks much for your help !
+1
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 2:10 PM
DOCFIXIT
It's a red wire with white tracer need power on both for radio to work
+1
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 2:55 PM
THOSFREEMAN
Have thus far been instructed by you to verify power in red/white wire on C1 plug and pink wire. I have power on the red/white but not the pink. Was wondering how I move forward from here, what next? Thanks
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 9:23 AM
DOCFIXIT
Check fuse # 12 in box end of dash a 10amp
-1
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
THOSFREEMAN
I found fuse #12. It is a 10 amp. However, it is incased in a black, sota like a clip or covering. Any other fuse, simply pull out. I was able to pull this fuse and the black cover/housing or whatever it is part of the way out. But I'm afraid to keep pulling, seems like I might break the black thing. Too, the black thing is blocking the view of the fuse to be able to determine whether it is blown or not. Do I muscle it out or is there a secret to removing it? Thanks so much
+2
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 11:54 AM
DOCFIXIT
You got me never seen a black thingy on a fuse
-1
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 3:41 PM
THOSFREEMAN
FYI. I got the fuse out, the #12 fuse, as you instructed. The fuse was blown and I now have power/current to the pink wire as well as the red with the white tracer. Thank you so very much for your guidance, instruction and input. Just so you'll know. There are a total of 3 fuses in my fuse box that have some type of plastic cover or, kind of like a clip over them. Two of them, I can't remember what they serve or what no. They are are right next to each other and have identical yellow clips or covers over the fuses. The other one is fuse no. 12. But it has a black clip/cover. I pulled hard with a pair of needle nose and it finally came off and brought the red, 10 amp fuse with it. The fuse was down inside of the clip and the clip had two long legs, about 3/4 of an inch that reach down into and seat into holes/slots in the wall of the fuse panel. I have no idea why 12 has this cover. I'm not sure if I was able to convey the description very well, but wanted to try. It was a bit confusing and baffling. But, again I replaced the fuse and now have power and once again thanks so much !
+2
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 7:16 PM
DOCFIXIT
Great I will look into the black cover thing see what I can find out. When I do i'll give a shout.
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 8:04 AM
THOSFREEMAN
That would be great. I did not put the clip/cover back on. I simply stuck the fuse back into the socket. Makes me think though that the clip is something to insure that the fuse does not pop out. Aside from the clip, the fuse location itself is spaced differently from all the other fuses as if this was some kind of special fuse. Anyway, will look forward to hearing from you if you're able to find out anything about the clip/cover and uniqueness or extra importance of this particular fuse.
+2
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 8:20 AM