1999 DODGE DURANGO HEATER CORE

• jeffs22
  • 1999 Dodge Durango

Heater problem
1999 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Recently I replaced the heater core using a new core from AutoZone. It was larger than the the $225 one from the Dodge dealer but only cost around $30.

The heat to the rear now comes out very cold and the front comes out hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As you know this was a long tedious job.

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 8:51 AM

• Docfixit

Hi
Only thing I can think of would be the air duct to rear is not on or in place. Heat comes from front and taken into rear via air duct. Do you have optional rear A/C?

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 10:09 AM
  • jeffs22

Yes, there is the optional rear a/c. The problem seems to be that the water circulates through the heater but does not have the pressure to reach the rear which is an uphill run.

The dealer told us that we must use the OEM part not the aftermarket part. The aftermarket part is not the low-profile type that came out of the car and the design looks different. Auto Zone states that this heater core will work and the size difference is just a slight inconvenience when installing.

Please let me know if you need more info or if you have heard of this problem before.

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 10:29 AM
  • Docfixit

Description Mitchel Manual has of your car is the warmed air travels to back not any water. Do you have hoses running to rear?

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 11:37 AM
  • jeffs22

There is an aluminum line that goes to the back heater A/C. It looks to me like there is a seperate heater unit in the back of the car (on top).

I beleive they require different pressure for the front and rear but from the same heater core.

It worked fine with the original part but not the Auto Zone Heater Core.

Is this something you are familiar with?

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 1:21 PM
  • Docfixit

Checked with a chrysler tech I know he said the same something about the BTU of core and aftermarket don't have enough? Asked if any trouble getting it to fit and did you insulate? Metal line is freon line to rear AC

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 1:56 PM
  • jbdbsb

Hello.
The rear upper unit is A/C ONLY, No heat. The rear heat comes from the rear console between the front seats. It is blown through tubes from the front under the front consloe. There is no rear heat blower per say, though you can direct the rear heat for mid, and lower console outlets, and of course off. Again, The rear upper is A/C ONLY.
And just to add. My A/C has never really blown cold, and my heat is NEVER hot! I'm thinking the heater core also. You repaced it yourself jeffs22? How was that?
Jeff jbdbsb123@aol. Com

Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM