2006 Dodge Dakota Blower Motor

LIONNUT
  • 2006 DODGE DAKOTA
My blower motor does not work. I have removed the motor and jumped it to the battery and it works fine. All the fuses checked out ok. I also checked the wiring harness plug which has power. I am assuming that the switch grounds the hot lead to the motor. Could it be the switch or a resistor that may not be functioning properly? I don't have a wiring diagram to see where the resistor would be. Would anyone know where it might be located?
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 11:58 AM

Hi:
Check to see if you have power to the blower motor resistor. If you do, replace the resistor. If you don't, check the switch for power in and out. If there is power in and not out, replace the switch.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions.
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 1:53 PM
LIONNUT
I cannot find the resistor to check it. Would you know where it is? With the plug on the blower motor having power, is it a grounding circuit that runs thru the switch and resistor?
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:55 PM
Hi Again:

If you have power to the motor, the resistor is good. If you have a digital volt meter, you could check for variations in voltage based on what speed the switch is on to make sure it's working properly. If you have power to the motor, but the motor won't run, it sounds like the motor is bad. You can remove it and run power to it to see if it runs outside of the vehicle to be sure.

Let me know what you decide.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 7:34 PM
LIONNUT
As I stated before, I have already checked the motor and it runs fine. I am getting full voltage at the blower motor plug regardless of the position of the switch. At the blower motor plug there is a green wire and a blue striped wire. The green wire has 12+ volts all the time. When checking with a volt meter across the 2 wires (with the plug disconnected) I get no voltage. With the plug attached to the motor, I grounded the blue striped wire and the motor ran fine. As I stated before, could this be a grounding circuit where the resistor/switch act as a variable ground? Would that mean that the resistor is somewhere between the motor and the switch on the ground side of the circuit? I still have no idea where the resistor would be located so that I could check it to see if it needs replacing.
-1
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 7:00 PM
Hi Again:
Yes, the resister is between the motor and the switch. I just looked it up in the manual and the resister is on the passanger side interior under the dash. It is attached to the right side of the HVAC unit. If your not geting a ground through the wiring harness and have to run a seperate ground, the resister is the problem. Keep in mind, the switch redirects the 12 volts to different areas of the resister. Thus the resister is responsible for how much power the motor gets. See if you can find it. I think that is your problem.

+1
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 8:13 PM
LIONNUT
Joe, Thanks for all of your help. I finally found the resistor, replaced it and now everything is working fine. It's the somewhat simple things in life that make you happy. Having heat again is one of those simple things. Your persistence and expertise is unparalleled and beats going to a repair station just to pay a lot of money to find a simple solution.
+1
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 5:24 PM
Hi Again:

I'm glad you got it fixed. Take care and stay warm. If you need anything in the future, let me know.

Positive feedback is appreciated.
+2
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 6:01 PM