2001 Dodge Dakota Truck is a HOT mess

CARIDIOT01
  • 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
The truck is having a hard time switching gears, which seems to be causing the truck to work too hard. It is buring fuel like crazy, and now it's over heating. The "check engine" light went on. We did a transmission tune up, but the light only turned off for a day or two after that. What could the issue(s) be?
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 11:33 AM

It sounds like two different issues. First, as far as the engine temp, make sure the coolant is full and clean. Also, has the thermostat ever been replaced?

As far as the transmission, if it isn't shifting soon enough, it could be over reving the engine causing it to overheat.

Now the trans, there are a few things. It could be the trans countrol module (TCM), a bad shift solenoid, or it may be time for an overhaul. Can you describe what it is doing?

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 10:14 PM
CARIDIOT01
Like my screen name says I am an Idiot when it comes to vehicles I just drive it, so I can try to describe what is going on, but I don't know the car Lingo.

Any time that I am driving on the street it take a while for the car to actually get into another gear, it's revving for sure trying to change gears. When I am on a highway or freeway driving at a steady fast pace it seems to be easier on the vehicle because all of the revving stops and it's a bit smoother. A friend said that it seems as though the vehicle is driving in 1st or 2nd gear the whole time. I don't know what any of it means. It might be easier to just throw it over a cliff, and get a new one. (Just kidding). Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. Is there a physical address that I can send a donation to? I'm old skool none of this online payment stuff.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 2:43 PM