2001 Dodge Dakota is turning check engine light on and off

DRCK
  • 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
My dakota does weird things I tried changing almost every sensor after I replaced the fuel pump new exhaust from the motor back now the check engine light comes on and off. The codes are always different code p0174 (lean engine bank 1or 2) and diffrent injectors ( 1 3 5 6 ) test them and they are good. When the light comes on I get very bad fuel milage and also the truck has no power weather the light is on or off poor take off and acceleration and no pulling power thinking the computer is no good what dou you guys think
Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 9:23 PM

BEEF99
This could be many things, it could be spark arcing from your plug wires and causing shorts, it could be a faulty plug to one of your sensors, it could also be that you got some dirt or mild rust build up on one of your screens in your injectors(I doubt this one though), it could be a bad fuel pump and the computer is scrambling to make up for the lost output of the fuel pump. More than likely it is in your ignition system somewhere, take it to a dealer and you will find it to be cheaper in the long run for them to diagnose it instead of keeping on replacing random parts. Trust me, you will be glad you did.
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 3:14 PM
DRCK
I have put it on a scanner and no one can tell me why the light might be gone for a week or an hour. I am a quad mech. So I do under stand what you are saying will the screens in the injectors be clean able?
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 5:05 PM
BEEF99
I have never had to clean the screan on an injector but I do know that this is a random problem with some of the older trucks. Electrical problems are hard to diagnose unless the person looking at it is an expert, it really does sound like an electrical problem either with the ignition system or something that controls the ignition system. Some vehicles have an ignition model on the engines equiped with a distributor and this can be the cause too. If you have a wire that is backing out of a plug or a faulty wire that is almost broken, this will cause it too. A good way to find the electrical problem is too have a person sitting behind the wheel of the truck while you do a shake down on the wiring system and have them tell you immediately when the light comes on, this will help narrow down the location. If it is something like an ignition module, or relay, then what is happening is that after a while it gets too hot and it sets off the idiot lights on your dash and if this is the problem, you will notice that it is gradually getting worse.
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 AT 7:56 PM
DRCK
Thanks will give that a try
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 9:43 PM