1999 Dodge Dakota starter wont turn over

DFELDER
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
Truck wouldnt start no clicking from starter. Charge battery with booster still doesnt turn starter, new battery, still nothing, checked relays, fuses, changed ignition switch, still nothing, can hear ignition relay click with cover offof power center under hood. Radio and signals also dont work, all gauges and power acc working, headlights, everything, but signals and radio dont work. Changed starter had tested, passed 4 times. Cleaned battery cables, starter cables, have continuity from positve terminal to starter wire. Wondering about neutral switch on transmission, doesnt start in neutral either
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 8:18 AM

Hi, did you use a testlite and check voltage circuits at the relay. There are two voltage circuits, one for the load side of relay, according to my info, terminal 30, hot all the time. The other voltage circuit is for the coil side of relay, terminal 86, according to the wiring info, goes hot with the key in the start position. The smaller brown wire at the starter should be hot when trying to start?
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM
DFELDER
Thanks for the feedback, will go and get test light and check, too hard with a meter, this is sooo frustrating.
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 11:53 AM
DFELDER
Checked relays r ok. Odometer and dash light are out as well as computer wont like with code reader. Could the computer be dead. Really wierd
Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 2:03 PM
Something is not adding up? If you have good voltage and ground at the starter and no starter action, it's either the starter or a mechanical issue with the engine, making it hard to turn over. Watch the lites when you try to crank, if the lites stay bright and no reaction, there is no load on the starter. I've already told you what voltage circuits to check, if everything checks out, don't know?
Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 3:30 PM
DFELDER
Tell me about it. Have never joined a site like this before cause have always been able to fix a problem but this has got me stumped, the lights dim when trying to start, never thought of something seized, cause I drove the truck where it sits. Will take belt off and see if I can turn over engine, or if accesory drive is seized, (alternator, or water pump or ac). Never thought of that, will let u know, thanks. Still cant fiqure out why dash is out and odometer is dead. This truck has been really good. Only other thing done to it is ball joints, dont want to give up on it
Sunday, November 29th, 2009 AT 4:09 PM
I don't think an accessory drive would keep the crank from turning? With belts off, it might make the crank easier for you to turn. Fluid in the cylinders could cause hydrostatic lock, pull the plugs.

I've seen parts that were tested good at the store, but, wouldn't work on the vehicle. The store uses their own voltage hook-ups. You use the circuits on the truck. Can you tell if the starter drive gear is hooking up with flywheel? On some makes and models, there may be a dust cover that you can remove, for the flywheel, if you can see the starter gear, see if it is acting correctly? Hey, right now, I'm stumped also?

At some point, I'd have to try an other starter. Ask the person at the parts house if you can bring the starter back if it doesn't fix the problem? If you had the starter tested at a store, that store may not agree to a return, try a different store. Some stores will let you return an electrical part, some won't, it don't hurt to ask.
Monday, November 30th, 2009 AT 9:41 AM