HEADLIGHT PROBLEMS

2001 Dodge Caravan

Julesb

November, 15, 2008 AT 10:47 PM

2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, for the best part of a year I have had problems with the headlights. When I start the engine I only have the left daytime running light, when I turn the headlights on the left one goes out and the right one comes on. Both side lights work but, only the left light works on high beam. Every now and then I will have both headlights. I had a mechanic check it and he said he thinks it is the PCM--Dodge wants $800-$1000. I called a salavge yard and they said I could get one from them for approx $200, obviously used and may not work either, but I could keep exchanging until I find one that works. Any advice?

Zackman

November, 17, 2008 AT 12:23 AM

You need to replace both bulbs. Your headlight bulb is 9007 which has dual filaments. Filament A for low beam, and filament B for high beam. In your case, your driver side bulb has the filament A burned out, and your passenger side has the filament B burned out. Make sure that you don not touch the glass while replacing those bulbs.

mlester11

November, 17, 2008 AT 3:27 PM

I had the same thing happen to my 2001 Caravan, 185,000 miles, 6 cyl on 11/16/08. I noticed the right side daytime running light not working. Later, driving along last night with regular headlights both on, the left regular beam suddenly winked out, the right regular stayed on. I switched to high beams, the left came on and the right went off. I thought it might be different elements in the bulbs, so I replaced them both today. The new bulbs are a little brighter, but they still do the same thing.

Is there a fuse or relay somewhere that could cause this? I can't find any blown fuses.

Thanks,

Michael

Zackman

November, 17, 2008 AT 8:09 PM

I don't see any relay or fuse controlling the headlight system, except for fog lights. Fog light operation does not affect your regular headlight or your daytime running light. Everything is controlled by Intelligent Power Module located at left side of engine compartment. If you have replaced the bad headlights with new one, and it only works one-sided, you may have to ask the dealer to check the IPM.

Fog Light Bulb Replacement w/ H.I.D Kit
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro