Cranks, starts and runs for two seconds and then it dies

ROBERT M. RUDE
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The fuel pressure is good, 62 Lbs.
It cranks, starts and runs for a couple seconds and then it dies. The engine quits cleanly, no sputtering, just quick kill.
The pass-lock light goes out and basically acts like it is supposed to. I tried a pass-lock relearn, but the light goes out after a minute or so, not after ten minutes.
no codes, no check engine light.
This truck sat for six months with Stabil in the gas, it ran perfect before parking.
I pulled the three big plugs from the BCM, did not see any corrosion, I could not figure out how to pull the two smaller plugs on each end.
I unplugged the three wire connector on the pass-lock sensor on the end of the ignition switch and looked for corrosion and it does not appear to be a loose fitting.
I unhooked battery and touched negative and positive together for a few seconds and reinstalled, no change.
BCM appears to be killing injectors after two seconds, why?
What do I look at? Thanks.
Saturday, May 7th, 2016 AT 8:54 PM

You need to have a mechanic to scan for codes to see what is wrong with system. You can try another key it may work otherwise it has to be scanned.
-1
Sunday, May 8th, 2016 AT 10:16 AM
ROBERT M. RUDE
A mechanic scanned it, no codes.
It just shows that the BCM is shutting off the injectors after two seconds. No clues as to why it does this.
The way I understand it passlock doesn't use a special key:
Passlock
This system allows starter operation, then kills the injectors one to two seconds after startup. This is a Hall-Effect system. The key cylinder housing has a small magnet that rotates past the Pass-lock sensor. The sensor is powered and detects the rotation. The voltage on the sensor then drops to a specified value (there are ten different values). There s no pellet in the key. So basically this system is checking to see that a thief has not popped the lock cylinder to steal the vehicle. You have to perform a Power-train Control Module (PCM) relearn procedure (need a programming scan tool). The Pass-lock system was used on:

Buick
Skylark 96-98

Chevrolet
Cavalier 95-on
Impala 2000-on
Malibu 97-on
Monte Carlo 2000-on

Oldsmobile
Achieva 96-on
Cutlass 97-on
Intrigue 98-on

All GM trucks 98-0n
Sunday, May 8th, 2016 AT 10:47 AM
KEN
Hey Robert,

It sounds like the crankshaft angle sensor is going out, when this sensor fails the engine stalls and there can be no codes for it because the computer thinks the engine has stalled for other reasons, ie out of gas, fuel pump failure etc. On newer models the camshaft sensor will take over and the engine will still run, then the computer can see the failure, but not so in 2004.

Please try to replace the sensor here is an article on doing that.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

and video

https://youtu.be/sKo7xRWVNqY

Let me know

Best, Ken
Monday, May 9th, 2016 AT 11:23 AM
ROBERT M. RUDE
It was the passlock sensor. Even though the dash light was acting like there was no passlock problem.

I did a 30 minute pass lock relearn and it started right up. Thanks for the help
-1
Monday, May 9th, 2016 AT 5:19 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content