Crank sensor and speed sensor issues

ARTHUR HEDRICK
  • 2010 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Car would stall every now and then, but start back up. Online diagnosis either mass air flow sensor or crank sensor. Bought both; first mass sensor was wrong one even when given the VIN. Got the right in and it started acting up more. Went to change crank sensor but the sensor I took out according to them comes back as speed sensor. If you search the part number online first says it is crank sensor for 3.4 engine. So I looked online to change crank sensor again but only see the one that they say is speed sensor. They are AutoZone and the part number in question is 10456568 m (ie Crank Sensor). I need to maybe see a diagram or picture so I can find crank sensor, to change it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Tuesday, October 20th, 2020 AT 5:29 PM

STEVE W.
The GM part number for the crank sensor on that engine is GM# 12598208 it is the one in the image. The part number you have (10456568) is the transmission output speed sensor. The crank position sensor is on the firewall side of the engine, just above the oil pan lip and in line with the exhaust outlet on the manifold. To get to it you go under the car, then unplug the sensor, remove it and reverse the process to install the new one. They have a habit of sticking in the block so you may want to remove it with a warm engine and gently work it out of the bore.
Once replaced you need to use a scan tool to do a CKP relearn procedure so the ECM knows the signal levels of the new sensor.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2020 AT 6:25 PM

Sponsored links