What is this PCV-looking hose that is on the Air Intake Duct

LINNEX MILES
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I was inspecting the hoses on my car and I made my way to the air intake duct. The best way I can describe it is the PCV-looking hose that is on the air intake duct. That is above the air intake sensor and to the extreme left to the mass air flow sensor. I noticed a crack and when I went to inspect it was brittle and snapped in two.

I supplied a picture for reference. When to the local auto parts store, they have no clue attempted to reach out to local mechanic, but was not in. Please advise as to what is the part? Where can I find it? And is there a diagram to show where the other end goes?

Thanks!

Also, the opposite end was oily. What do I need to inspect? Thanks again.
Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 1:38 AM

It is a breather hose that goes to valve cover they get oily from sucking oil vapors to be reburned when car is running. Auto part should have it if not dealers may.
+10
Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 5:39 AM
LINNEX MILES
Thanks for the info! To share my discovery, the technical name for part in question is called the 3.4 LITER V6 ENGINE CRANKCASE VENTILATION TUBE GM Part Number 24508188. Well, as the parts dealer has educated me that is. Is there a diagram available that shows where the opposite end goes? The Haynes manual is not providing me much info. Thanks!
+12
Friday, October 14th, 2016 AT 5:30 PM
KEN
Hey Linnex,

Yes the tube goes into the top of the valve cover.

Best, Ken
+8
Saturday, October 15th, 2016 AT 12:16 AM
JEDUNN
I came across this thread searching for info on this exact hose. Where exactly does the other end connect to? I didn't realize it came loose until after I was done replacing the air filter. A diagram or detailed explanation would help, I know you said valve cover above, but it doesn't seem long enough to really reach anywhere. I also have a 2003 Impala. Here's a pic below of it hooked only to intake.
+4
Thursday, March 9th, 2017 AT 10:17 PM
The other end goes to valve cover so engine vapors can be sucked into engine and burned. Check both covers there should be a hole towards the air duct
Friday, March 10th, 2017 AT 6:32 AM
JEDUNN
Thank you. I found the hole and once I figured out the proper path the hose laid between the two parts, it popped right into place.
+1
Friday, March 10th, 2017 AT 10:07 AM
CHEV45
Same thing happen to me. The end that goes on the main air intake hose is snug. The other hole is on the engine towards the back. When I plugged the hose in the hole behind the engine, it was very loose, is this correct?

From what I understand it's suppose to be sucking up fumes from the engine.
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 AT 12:28 PM
KASEKENNY1
Correct. It should not be loose because it feeds engine blow by gases from the crankcase back to the intake system.

If the valve is loose then it could cause issues. Can you get a picture of the valve and how it is loose? As long as it is creating a seal then it is okay but if it is loose then I suspect it is not sealing.

Let me know and we can go from there. Thanks
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 AT 2:03 PM
CHEV45
I was able to snag this picture of the hole on the engine that I'm referring to. I had very high idle and I noticed this end was not connected to anything. High idle stopped when I plugged it into the hole.

Is this supposed to be a tight seal because the end still moves around, it just kind of covers the hole and stays there due to how the length and how the hose is positioned. Kinda worried if it will fly out or how it was disconnected in the first place.

Thanks!
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 AT 9:28 PM
KASEKENNY1
Yes. That should be a snug fit. Clearly it should just not pull out. It needs to have some resistance when removing it.

If you want me to see if I can find the part number of the PCV and tube, send me the year, make, model, and engine of your vehicle.

Also, that looks like it is just a tube or hose. Is there a valve in the end on the valve cover side?
Wednesday, June 10th, 2020 AT 6:25 PM
CHEV45
It's a 2003 Chevrolet Impala V6 ( I believe it's 3.4L).

Is the valve in the engine hole or on the end of the hose?
Wednesday, June 10th, 2020 AT 7:52 PM
KASEKENNY1
I attached the info about this valve. The valve should be in the engine side. The valve actually seals in the engine as shown and then the hose connects to the PCV.

Take a look at this and let me know what you find. Thanks
Thursday, June 11th, 2020 AT 6:28 PM
CHEV45
From your PCV diagram, I see hole lays flat for the PCV Valve (2).
If you look at my picture a few posts above, the hole is at an incline/diagonal, does that matter?
Thursday, June 11th, 2020 AT 8:15 PM
KASEKENNY1
No. I would not think so because those drawings are normally recycled from other engines when the components are this similar. So that drawing may not actually be of your engine but because a PCV is generally the same in all engines they don't spend the money to have a different drawing made for each different engine.
+1
Friday, June 12th, 2020 AT 6:29 PM

Sponsored links