Crank no start when outside temperature is hot

CLEARUSA
  • 2001 ACURA CL
We have replaced the main relay. But, that doesn't seem to help. Green key light flashes when it is not wanting to start; but, I have 2 keys and once it is cooler outside, they both work. I lost my Acura mechanic (retired); so, I am on my own.

Possibly unrelated:
Replaced battery approximately 6 months ago when it wouldn't start at all.
Noticed cruise control on steering wheel doesn't work (but the switch on dash works).
Recently noticed a little hesitation when accelerating (slight jerk).
Replaced the radio approximately 3 months ago.
Monday, September 7th, 2020 AT 10:24 AM

KASEKENNY1
I am little confused. When this happens, the engine cranks but does not start and the green key light flashes only when this is happening? Or does the green key light flash all the time?

Let's clarify this and then can we check for codes and make sure we don't have any?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Once we know this info we can go down the right path. Thanks
+1
Monday, September 7th, 2020 AT 5:26 PM
CLEARUSA
The green key light only flashes when it is having a problem starting. When it is in key position 2, the green key light flashes and when I try to start, it cranks but does not start. Once I cool down the car (open all of the doors and the hood and let it sit for 45 minutes or so), when I turn the key to position 2, it flashes a couple of times and turns off and the car starts right up.
Monday, September 7th, 2020 AT 6:19 PM
CLEARUSA
I had a mechanic check for codes and he said there are none. He said the main relay was showing closed - both when it wouldn't start and when it did. Hopefully that means something to you. Because it means nothing to me.
Monday, September 7th, 2020 AT 6:21 PM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. You have a security issue. The theft light not going off is telling us that there is most likely a key issue. I attached the information explaining how this works.

Do you have another key that we can try to use when this is acting up?
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 7:15 PM
CLEARUSA
I have 2 keys. One is the original and the second was programmed by the dealer in case the original died. It acts the same with both. This may sound crazy; but, sometimes while I am waiting on it to cool down, I have moved the steering wheel up and down and it has started. Mechanic thinks it is a coincidence.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 7:24 PM
KASEKENNY1
That may be a coincidence but we need to prove that out. So unfortunately we need to wait for this to act up again and test this.

My thinking is that if we have an issue with the immobilizer unit connection to the ECM and if moving the steering wheel effects this then that gives us more to chase.

Let us know about this info. Thanks
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 7:33 PM

Sponsored links