Car will not start

KIRSTENY16
  • 1997 ACURA CL

My car will not start. I got someone to jump me off and it ran fine, but when I tried to turn it over again everything went out. Could it be the alternator?

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM

Check the battery condition and connections and the alternator-start. Here let me know.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 3:04 AM
KIRSTENY16

The battery and battery terminals were both replaced in November of last year and are still in great condition.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 3:08 AM

Check the starter motor, starter relay, clutch switch or transmission range switch and ignition switch.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 3:13 AM
KIRSTENY16

Thank you!

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM
DANLESABRE

Even though you replaced the battery recently, that does not mean the battery is good. A bad alternator and/or parasitic drain can cause a battery to slowly drain out. Does the car start every time you jump it? What is the system voltage when the engine is running?

Do you know if the battery is properly mounted and secured? An improperly mounted/secured battery may develop an internal short which will cause a symptom that you are describing.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 4:48 AM
MORADEYO

I will advise you to take the car to a technician for proper check up. It could be the starter, battery or even the cable from the battery to the starter.

Friday, June 17th, 2011 AT 10:24 AM
JOEY8D
  • 1997 ACURA CL
  • MERGED

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 180,000 miles

Hi, my car shut off while driving with no engine codes or symptoms at all. I replaced the distributor module and coil figuring this would remedy it and nothing. I checked the coil leads and they are getting juice, this is a under the cap coil so I took the dist cap off and cranked it and spark did appear across the coil. I pulled number one plug placed timing on TDC and checked rotor and all seems fine. But I have no spark at the distributor cap plug wire terminals, down the wires or at the plug with the distributor cap in place. I have power to crank, power to excite the coil and am getting spark there. So I should be getting spark across the rotor to my wires and plugs but am not. Does this sound like a crank or cam sensor issue? Thank you for your time on this matter.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 3:17 PM
  • MERGED

L cranks over strong will not start.

Could be the CPS. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Igniter cam and crank sensors.

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 3:17 PM
SEANG95648
  • 1997 ACURA CL
  • MERGED

Four cylinder

sometimes when I try to start in the morning it will just crank over until the battery drains out. Sometimes it cranks over longer than usual and when it does start it stays running fine. It will shut it off and it will start right back up. What in the world? I was thinking maybe a relay going out. Recently changed spark plugs, wires not sure if it was doing that before the replace. Also, how do I retrieve the codes? Is there an ADLDlink and can I retrieve it with the jumper wire?

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 3:18 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Hi seang95648,

The diagram is for code retrieval.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SCS97AcuraCL_1.jpg

When engine would not start, you need to check if it is fuel or ignition that is missing.

The following link should help identify.

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_cranks_but_wont_start.htm

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, January 23rd, 2017 AT 3:18 PM