Crank no start

STARR ZIM HA
  • 2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Cranks but wont start. I replaced cam sensor, oil sensor and engine coil. Car will crank but not turn over. Spent all day trying to get it to run even cleaned all connectors and disconnected the battery. No codes, no lights. Was driving when it first cut off and no noise just the oil light before it died.
Fiancee is a mechanic.
Thursday, November 24th, 2016 AT 5:40 PM

Disconnecting the battery never solves anything, and it erases any diagnostic fault codes, so that valuable information was lost, if there were any codes.

"Crank" and "turn over" are the same thing. By the parts you replaced, I can assume it cranks okay. What you need to do now is determine if the automatic shutdown, (ASD) relay is turning on. Find the wire that is the same color at the coil pack and at every injector. That typically is a dark green / orange wire, and back-probe that any place. You can use a digital voltmeter, but they often do not respond fast enough, so a test light works better. You will see twelve volts on that wire for one second when you turn on the ignition switch. What is important is if that voltage comes back during cranking. If it does not, the signal is missing from the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor.

Very often a fault code for either the cam or crank sensor signal will only set while the stalled engine is coasting to a stop. Once erased, it may not set again during cranking. Then you need to use a scanner to view live data to see if either signal is missing. I use a Chrysler DRB3 scanner. That lists each sensor with a "No" or "Present". I do not know what that would look like on other scanners, but I am pretty sure they have a way to show the same information.
Thursday, November 24th, 2016 AT 6:46 PM

Related Engine Not Starting Content