Engine is overheating

MICHAELPOLLOCK
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
When I check the fluid in the overflow tank it is full, but when I check the radiator it is low, and I can put in two to three quarts of coolant directly in the radiator. Why will the coolant not return from the overflow tank to the radiator?
Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 10:06 PM

Have you checked to make sure there are no leaks Also, does the system pressurize when the engine is hot if not I would replace the radiator cap. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/GSE9skKnOgY

Finally, check the head gasket by using this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please run down these guides and report back.

Cheers, Joe
Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 11:35 PM
MICHAELPOLLOCK
The problem is a blown head gasket putting exhaust into the cooling system forcing out the coolant. $3,000.00 is the estimate to replace the head gasket, water pump, and timing belt, if the head does not need to be rebuilt.
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 3:44 PM
Seriously! They want $3,000.00 to fix it? Either you live in an area that has labor rates around $400.00 per hour or they are ripping you off. You have about $500.00 in parts and maybe eight hours labor.

I had a feeling it was a head gasket. I do recommend you get another estimate. That is crazy! Please keep in mind, they have to remove the timing belt to take the head off. The water pump is right there so the only labor is to unbolt and re bolt a new one. I looked it up and it calls for 7.5 hours. Add another hour for the water pump, and to recharge the AC. The $500.00 in parts is a close estimate.

Again, I strongly recommend getting another estimate. I would not spend more than $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 max.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 9:30 PM
MIKE CARPENTER
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My car overheats. Last week I had a code of p 309, if I am right number four cylinder misfire. That went away. We thought it was moisture on the wires. Yesterday it overheated while idling, the temperature light came on gauge pegged. Drove it home two miles as soon as clear traffic it cooled down. Replace slow and fast relays for the fan, isolated the harness that goes to fan, shot 12 volts to it, fan runs great. Reconnect it after new relays. Idle it overheated. Fan will not cycle. Jumped around temp switch the one in the thermostat housing and now check engine light and gauge are showing overheat even with engine cold. Why does the fan not cycle? Is there another cooling switch that I am missing? Thanks.
Monday, July 16th, 2018 AT 7:10 PM (Merged)
Check the engine coolant temperature sensor at front of cylinder head. If okay if problem persist could be the computer controlled circuit of the relays in the computer.
SMM154
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Four cylinder automatic 117,000 miles.

Engine overheats while idling after going long distances in a thirty minute increment time period. Paid $300.00 for mechanics to change out a cracked thermostat housing and also put a new radiator cap on it. Still did not work after this. Turn on the heat when I notice temperature change and it starts to go down. Also, there is a leak I have noticed after I pull out of my parking space. Mechanics have tried a stress test and have been unable to see the results I am seeing. Please help!
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Find a mechanic who is prepared to look. If you can see a leak they will with a cooling system pressure test.

SHA77NNA
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
I have done everything possible to repair the overheating. My question is everything has been checked and my car still runs hot on the gauge in the car, could the fan and fan motor not working to its full potential make a difference?
If the fan is coming on, get it block and pressure tested this will tell you something.
SHA77NNA
I was told that the fan comes on but it is running very low or weak! My car is not running hot to the touch it is only on the gauge in the car! I noticed somewhere else in the forum something about the cooling system relay fuses, could I change those also?
If it is the relay I do not think it will run at all. Could be the temperature gauge itself. Check the coolant temperature sensor or the temperature gauge/switch.
+1
SHA77NNA
Where is the temperature gauge switch located and/or the temperature sensor? It is a PT Cruiser. Is it underneath the engine?
+1
JIM ELDER
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
New radiator, new head gasket, new thermostat, purged, still wants to overheat while setting in drive for a while or if you run air.
Disregard the engine temperature gauge switch and check the CTS resistances located at front of cylinder head.
You might have air in system see. Pictures on how to bleed. When doing this pinch off overflow hose.
SHA77NNA
Would changing the radiator fan relay fuse high and low speed help? What I guess I am asking is do you think that by those fuses being bad could make the car run hot or should I say make the water boil so fast? Honestly to think about it I am not sure the fan is kicking on or if it is it is running really weak.
Please check this to confirm it.

Have you checked the thermostat?
CHARITY123
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My car is overheating and I do not know why. I have changed the radiator cap and thermostat and also put an blockage liquid in the head gasket and it is still overheating. I do not know what else to do? My uncle even took the thermostat out just to see what it would do and it still overheated. What is wrong?
KTECH
I would not recommend a blockage additive, rarely do they solve any problems. It is more than likely your water pump my friend just got done changing his on his turbo pt with 150,000 and it was totally frozen up and you would have had no idea until you tried to spin it. When was the last time you changed your antifreeze? If it has been more than four years you will want to change that out. I believe they used Dex-cool in those from the factory and that is not very good for your system anyway. I would change the water pump. If I had to guess your water is not circulating coolant though the system. I have disassemble cars with 200,000 miles and found the water pump impeller fins totally corroded away, so if it has never been replaced by this point it is time anyway. After that I would take it somewhere and have the antifreeze pressure flushed out of your system to remove that stop leak and all the old Dex-cool. You can also try using a pressure tester on your radiator cap to see if it is possibly the head gasket.
HCSPED06
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My car was in the repair shop about a month ago when it overheated. The mechanic (who I completely trust) replaced the thermostat and a hose that was leaking. Now it is doing the same thing again. I am not sure what the problem is. There are no leaks, the radiator is full, the overflow has antifreeze in it. Any suggestions would be helpful.