2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Coolant from recovery tank does no

MICHAELPOLLOCK
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My 2002 PT cruiser is overheating. When I check the fluid in the overflow tank it is full, but when I check the radiator it is low, and I can put in 2 to 3 quarts of coolant directly in the radiator. Why won't the coolant return from the overflow tank to the radiator?
Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 10:06 PM

Have you checked to make sure there are no leaks? Also, does the system pressurize when the engine is hot? Finally, check the hose from the radiator to the overflow to make sure it isn't pinched shut, damaged or disconnected. Also, let me know if you have any leaks and how often you have to add that much coolant. That is a lot.

Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 11:35 PM
MICHAELPOLLOCK
Sigh... The problem is a blown head gasket. $3 grand is the estimate to replace the head gasket, water pump, and timing belt - if the head does not need to be rebuilt.
-1
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 3:44 PM
Oh my god! THey want 3K to fix it? Either you live in an area that has labor rates around 400 per hour or they are ripping you off. You have about 500.00 in parts and maybe 8 hours labor.

I had a feeling it was a head gasket. I do recommend you get another estimate. THat is crazy! Please keep in mind, they have to remove the timing belt to take the head off. THe waterpump is right there so the only labor is to unbolt and rebolt a new one. I looked it up and it calls for 7.5 hours. Add another hour for the water pump, and to recharge the AC. The 500 in parts is a close estimate.

Again, I strongly recommend getting another estimate. I wouldn't spend more than 1200 to 1500 max.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 9:30 PM