Engine overheating

1234LEON
  • 2006 CHRYSLER 300

Engine Cooling problem 6 cyl Automatic

had this car in the shop twice, they replaced radiator, thermostat and checked everything concerning this problem. Its back in the shop now. The heater blows cold air when it over heats, the lower radiator hose is barely warm to the touch when it overheats. The radiator fan seems to be working. Could it be the radiator cap? Can I remove the thermostat permanently? Last summer, I could drive this car hundreds of miles without it overheating, and sometimes I couldn't drive more than a mile or two before it happened. Do water pumps work intermittently.

Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 4:36 PM

Yep its sounds like you have a blown head gasket this will fill the heater core with exhaust which causes the heater to stop working. Here is a guide that will help you confirm the problem

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

This guide an help as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Water pumps can develop loose impellers, but that's more of a Volkswagen thing. Poor circulation will result in cool radiator hoses, but the gauge will read "hot". If the gauge reads low, what makes you think it's overheating? Look for bubbles in the overflow reservoir. If the coolant is cold, you know it's not overheating.

Do not remove the thermostat. In some cases, that will cause overheating because the coolant won't stay in the radiator long enough to cool. More commonly, the engine won't reach operating temperature. Parts won't fit right leading to rapid engine wear, and the fuel system will not go into "closed loop" and fuel mileage will go way down.

The pressure cap simply allows system temperature to go above 212 degrees without causing the water in the coolant to boil. It doesn't CAUSE the temperature to rise.

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, caradiodoc

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 12:21 PM
ICY360

You hit it right on the money it has a blown head gasket. I will pay the 1200.00 and have it fixed becasue I love the car. Thanks 2Carpros! You guys are the best.

+1
Sunday, June 13th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM