1999 Chevy Tahoe ABS system

MCINTV
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 2002 silverado 2500, 98,000 miles. ABS system going off at low brake speed. Mechanic said rust under sensors cost $228.00 to fix. Now having same problem with 99 Tahoe bought 6 months into 2000. Now have 98,000 miles same problem only worse. Replaced rotors at 70,000 (2nd time). Am I having same problem I had with the 25000. Repair manuel indicates I could have 2 wheel ABS system I see a module on the transmission could that be the ABS for a 2 wheel system. Did not see anything on front when I replaced the rotors. Can I fix the problem. Brakes fade at times when the system ingages.
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 4:03 PM

JACK42
Is the ABS light on? If so you need to start by having the codes read, that will give us a place to start. When thesystem is engaging, are you on rough road? Going over train tracks? Something is common here besides thefact they are both Chevy's. If the road causes the tires to lose any contact with the road it will set off the ABS
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 7:50 AM
MCINTV
The light does not come on also the light on the Silverado never came on before the repair. ABS engages only at slow stop, if I brake hard to complete stop abs does not engage if I use brakes to slow down to 1 or 2 miles an hour then softly stop that is when the problem occurs.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 8:03 AM
JACK42
The sensors should be in the hub, not the rotor on that truck, check for any damage to the wiring, I havent come across this problem before. Does the ABS light come on in the dash when you first turn on the key?
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 8:30 AM
MCINTV
Light comes on when I turn on key. Code reader shows "no codes". I will check wires. Thanks.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 8:59 AM
JACK42
If all is ok, you may need to have ashop drive it with ascanner on it to watch the ABS system to see what it is doing. Without a code, we are just guessing
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 10:49 AM