1999 Chevy Suburban cold starting problem

ALLENHOWELL
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Hello, I have a 1999 K1500 4 wheel drive Suburban.
When the engine is cold or it is cold and damp outside the engine turns over but is not starting. It seems to be fuel related as when it does this if I go up and spray some starting fluid on the air filter surface then try to start it fires right up. Once it is running it runs great. This problem showed up when it started getting cooler during the night this year. If the engine is warm it starts no problem.
Thanks for any help you can give!

Allen
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 9:57 AM

Welcome to the forum, If you have the spider fuel system, it is noted for cold start issues. I'd use a gage and check fuel pressure, cold engine. I don't know if injector cleaner in the tank, will help? The cleaning procedures in service bulletins are shop procedures.
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 10:30 AM
ALLENHOWELL
Hey thanks,
It is the throttle body system on 5.7. I have already run some good injecter cleaner through. It didn't seem to effect the problem.

Thanks,
Allen
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 10:46 AM
Hi, is that the original fuel system. My partsbook shows the spider fuel system for the 5.7 not TBI. Yeah, they all have throttle-bodies, The spider system has a tube that carries fuel from injector to each cylinder. There is a poppet on the end of each tube, that gets stuck open or closed, sometimes. It may take a shop procedure to clean it, if that is the problem?
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 11:31 AM
ALLENHOWELL
Hey, Thanks so far!
Mine is a vortec. I dont see any tubes go ing to the cylenders. Only 2 tubes landing to the left of the Throtle body. Like I said it runs very good once started. Can auto zone check the fuel pressure up there?

Thanks again,
Allen
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 1:23 PM
I don't think they will test it for you? You can ask. They used to loan out fuel pressure gages, don't know if they still do? You might have to put up a deposit, you get the money back when you return the gage.
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 1:50 PM
ALLENHOWELL
Hey,
Thanks for the help thus far. I gto a fuel pressure gage at auto zone. I replced the filter and checked and had around 55 PSI of fuel pressure. What is the spec for this?

Thanks,
Allen
Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 5:07 PM
My info shows 60--66 psi, key on engine off, with spider fuel system, fuel pressure is critical.
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 9:03 AM
ALLENHOWELL

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/438838_DSC01127_1.jpg

Is this the "Spider" system?

Thanks again!
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
Nice picture, I can't tell by the picture, my info says you have the spider system. I looked up fuel injector/s in two different parts books, they showed spider fuel system. Those systems also have trouble with the fuel poppets sticking.
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 11:43 AM
ALLENHOWELL
Should I send a better picture?
What is required to check/ fix a fuel poppet sticking problem?
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 12:02 PM
The picture was fine, I think the pressure is too low, just my opinion. The cleaning procedure in service bulletins, is a shop procedure.
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 2:30 PM
ALLENHOWELL
Okay,
Thanks for the help!

Allen
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 2:50 PM
SKIMMERMAN
HI Allen
I have same issue. Spider is actually under the manifold. What I have researched thus far does not suggest a spider issue. I have also good pressure. Pressure regulator is also under manifold attached to spider) Check cold temp sensor(just right and below thermostat housing) Mine was defective. Replaced. Trk started for two days(out side temp 34) now outside temp is 15, truck will not start. Seems we both have same issue. I am at a loss as well. If I learn of answer, will contact you again.
Thursday, February 2nd, 2017 AT 11:41 AM
KEN
Hey guys,

This sounds like a classic fuel pump problem which is an issue with these cars, here is a guide that will show you what you are in for when changing the pump which you can get from Amazon.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Please let us know what happens so it will help others

Best, Ken
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 2:18 AM