Heater is stuck on floor vents

MATTSON17
  • CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1996 Chevrolet K2500, 350 with 160,000 miles. My heater works but I can't get it to blow out the defrost or the dash vents, its stuck on the floor heater. What could be the cause of this? Is it an easy fix or is it better to take it to a mechanic? Thanks for the help.
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 4:21 PM

CHEVYII
There are a few components that need to be checked , first being vacuum supply to the heat, A/C module under the dash , the supply comes from the engine and down by the right fender in the box , there are several blend door actuators which move the doors according to your selection on the knob , there is also vacuum there. that's where the blend door actuators come in. when you turn the knob vacuum is sent to your desired position. it can get complicated if you let it.

check for vacuum at the source under the dash on the right side , next pull the A/C, heat control panel off and see if the vacuum is switching.

Here is a video to help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Eqf-H3COtSo&feature=emb_title

Jim
Thursday, October 18th, 2007 AT 6:44 PM
Hi,

The air flow direction on this vehicle is controlled by a mode door. Based on your selection, the mode door actuator changes the direction of air flow. What I would suggest is to remove the actuator and check it for operation. Chances are the actuator itself has failed.

Here are the directions for removal and replacement. The two attached pictures correlate with the directions.

_________________________________

1996 Chevy Truck K 2500 Truck 4WD V8-305 5.0L VIN M SFI
Actuator Removal and Installation
Vehicle Heating and Air Conditioning Air Door Actuator / Motor Service and Repair Procedures Actuator Removal and Installation
ACTUATOR REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Mode Actuator Location

Pic 1

Mode Actuator Replacement

Pic 2

Remove or Disconnect
1. Negative battery cable.
2. Electrical connector.
3. Screws.
4. Adjuster links from control lever.
5. Mode actuator.

Adjust
A. Electrical connector to the actuator.
B. Turn the ignition key to the run position and let the actuator position itself.
C. Turn off the ignition key.
D. Remove the actuator from the electrical connection.

Install or Connect
1. Mode actuator.
2. Screws.
3. Adjuster links to control lever.
4. Electrical connector.
5. Negative battery cable.

Check circuit operation.

___________________________

I don't know if you will find this helpful, but here is a link that shows how a blend door actuator is replaced. The process is very similar. The difference is the link discusses a different actuator in the HVAC system that is responsible for temperature and not air flow direction. However, they are appear and work very similarly.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Thursday, March 26th, 2020 AT 7:30 PM

Sponsored links