2500 3/4ton EXT CAB 454-Starting Problem-Spark-Electrical

ATURNE
  • 2012 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hello, A ton of great posts are on this site. Excellent tech. :)

My problem is close to a few listed with a twist:

-Will not start, will turn over, spark=should be/see below.

The beast:

- 92 3/4 Ton Chevy Ext Cab with 454/Stick. 389,000 miles in great condition. (Al original).

I started the truck cold. Turns over and started great, put in drive and was about 2 miles down the road and it just turns off.

1st thought - Stupid me, ran out of gas? Has 1/4 tank.

2nd, Put it in 2nd while I was still rolling and tried to pop it. That just slowed me down a bit. IE: Did not start.

3rd once at a complete stop. I looked at the dash again. All idiot lights are on, lights working. New battery etc etc. I tried again, It has power, looks good on the inside.

4th I check the belts thinking the fan belt or alternator (same) slipped. That all looks good.

5th I pull the air filter off, I spray starter fluid in and try again, same result.

Is it getting spark: Well it was running great I dont know what would cause it to stop while going 45mph.

Only other thing that I can think of as a simple fix is a fuse or sensor that was tripped. I know enough to get around an engine and all the tools and thought I would try the net before spending tons of time towing and money at a dealer.

Thank you in advance.
Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 5:32 PM

MERLIN2021
If it didn't fire when you sprayed starting fluid in, it's probably spark related! What ignition system do you have? Distributorless? Or not? Is the check engine light on?
Thursday, September 27th, 2007 AT 5:57 PM
ATURNE
Hi, Tks for the fast reply :) Check Engine light is on. It has 8 wires going to a dist cap, Its a good 80,000 miles to 100,000 since I looked at it.

Is it possible to be going 45mph down the road and it will lock up/freeze?

The Truck spent the first 3 years in OH w/snow. Since that time it spent 80 to 120 degree weather in Las Vegas, NV if that helps narrow it down.

If its spark plug related-I would assume that plugs are fine and its the dist cap on back, does the 2500 have any fuses or switches that will trip under extreme conditions?

Tks again. Google gives you a great rank and now I see why. :)
Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 2:09 AM
ATURNE
How do I generate points so I can give you positive feedback :)
Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 2:13 AM
ATURNE
Great list: You have some excellent content-

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_tune_up.htm
Friday, September 28th, 2007 AT 2:24 AM
ATURNE
Wires are all good and have current. Next is the Dist cap. Nuts are kinda rusted=will take a few hours.
Sunday, September 30th, 2007 AT 6:54 PM
MERLIN2021
The cap locks are spring loaded just push down and turn! I think you need to be a donor to give point, but I'm not sure. Three things you need for success are Spark, Gas and Compression, Check for all three. Did you get spark at the plugs? Gas in the injector, or Carb? Then if yes to these 2 get a compression tester and remove all plugs, then test 1 Cyl at a time! Write down the readings and post em here.
Sunday, September 30th, 2007 AT 7:22 PM
ATURNE
Ignition Module Replaced for $145.00 = Working now.

Tks again for the help
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 5:27 PM
MERLIN2021
Ok, good!
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007 AT 5:47 PM