No power (or ground?) To driver's door

SAMBAL BADJAK
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I left my truck outside at the airport all last week and when I came back, nothing electrical in the driver's door worked. I had to unlock it with the key although two clicks on the remote unlocked the other doors. The power mirrors, windows, locks, seat heaters and dome light were inoperative from the driver's door. About 10 minutes into the drive home, I noticed it all started working again (door switch illumination came on). I stopped for dinner and came out 45 minutes later to find nothing worked again. Three days later, still nothing works. I don't have a wiring schematic to see where the ground is located, or if these accessories run through a multiplexer, or know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 2:14 PM

Welcome to the forum. There should be a left door circuit breaker in the lt i/p fuse box, use testlite, one of those legs should be hot all the time.
+1
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 2:35 PM
SAMBAL BADJAK
I read 12 volts at the breaker and less than 1 ohm through the breaker, so I have power and the breaker should be good.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 2:49 PM
Orange wire from that circuit breaker carries voltage to the driver door module, inside the door. On some makes and models, I have accessed the wiring at the front side of door, where the wiring harness goes in. Maybe you can access the circuits on the backside of window switch?
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 4:00 PM
SAMBAL BADJAK
I'll pull the door panel and check voltage inside. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 5:02 PM
SAMBAL BADJAK
I pulled the door panel. There are 3 orange wires that come into the door. I am assuming the main power is the thicker of the three - 14 ga. Maybe. It is in a 4 socket connector (blue, orange, brown and black). The orange is 12.5 v and black is ground. I don't know what brown and blue are.
-1
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 5:44 PM
Brown is up voltage and blue is down voltage for the window motor. I may have that backwards, but, when brown is voltage blue is ground, when blue is voltage brown is ground, because it is a reversing motor for up and down.
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 11:00 AM
SAMBAL BADJAK
Makes sense. Is there a multiplexer or control module for everything in the door? I have power to the switch, but nothing works - mirror, seat heat, switch illumination, windows, power locks, door light or dome light when door is open. The other windows open from their respective doors, power locks work on other 3 doors from the fob and dome lights work from the other 3 doors too.
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM
There is the driver door module that goes out in these cars, here is a full wiring diagrams for the door module and locks.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 11:57 AM
SAMBAL BADJAK
Yep I replaced the drivers door module and it fixed the problem you guys are great!
Tuesday, September 29th, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
GREGLANE
I have a similar problem on my 2003 Silverado. However, my dome light stays on and the Driver Door Ajar message is displayed. I'm guessing it is a broken power wire. Any confirmations? Makes s sense to me that power has to go through the door switch and back to the inside of the cab. Where exactly is the door switch? Tomorrow, I will use a meter and check for power in the door.
Friday, March 9th, 2018 AT 5:30 PM
KEN

It is the driver side do0r latch which is on. The micro switch inside the latch has gone bad, here is a guide to help you get the door latch changed out.

You will need to remove the door panel this should give you an idea of what you are in for.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/door-panel-removal

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, March 12th, 2018 AT 12:42 PM