2001 Chevy Silverado no brake pedal

PIPERJR
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I have replaced my master cylinder, rotors, calipers and completely bled my brake system and still have no pedal I have thoroughly checked for leaks and have none, what am I missing I would love to give a donation but I have just spent 700 bucks and am flat broke will someone please help me out

I tracked it down in searching for leaks but found no bleeder. Do I just crack the line, and if so how to know which one there are 5.

Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 12:18 AM

You need a special tool to bleed it-check the parts store but here is a guide that will help you as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

+1
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 11:28 AM
PIPERJR

Thank you

Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 11:47 AM
KELLYJOJIMBOB
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

When I am stopped at a light and have my foot on the break peddle the ABS kicks in and then peddle goes to the floor and I have no breaks. Only at low speeds does this happen. Breaks work fine at high speeds. I would like to know what some of the causes for this might be. The ABS light does Not come on.

Thanks Kelly h

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
  • MERGED

Take this to a pro so he can see if any codes are in it. Autop arts stores can't read abs codes so you need mostly a pro model.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
DAN_K
  • 222 POSTS
  • MERGED

I just dealt with this identical problem with a friend's Silverado. I fixed it by removing the front wheel speed sensors and cleaning the mounting surface where the sensor meets the hub. Corrosion builds up on the surface and changes the air gap of the hall-effect sensor. Unfortunately, if you live in a "rust belt" state, this may become periodic maintenance. On extreme cases, I've read that the corrosion contaminates the grease in the hub and collects between the teeth of the tone ring. Cleaning is difficult because you don't want to wash the grease out. The alternative is to replace the hubs - this is only necessary in extreme cases; it's also costly in terms of both parts and labor.

Here's an informative article:

http://www.ebearing.com/news2005/053101.htm

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
DAN_K
  • 222 POSTS
  • MERGED

If you're not comfortable taking on a repair with moderates skills, I would recommend taking it to a professional. But if you're willing to give it a shot, here are the steps to do it.

1) Safely raise and support the vehicle.
2) Disconnect the front wheel speed sensors from their harness and frame.
3) With a digital volt-meter attached to the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector, rotate the wheel in a clockwise direction approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading on the meter should be at least 350 ACmV s. If the reading is less than that, remove the sensor.
4) Plug the sensor bore to prevent debris from falling into the hub.
5) With a wire brush, sandpaper, or another suitable cleaning device, thoroughly clean the speed sensor mounting surface.
6) Examine the sensor head for warpage or distortion due to corrosion build-up. Check the mounting surface of the sensor head for flatness at three or more positions.
7) GM recommends applying two thin coats of rust penetrating lubricant (GM P/N 89022217) to the sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub and allow to dry for 3-5 minutes. Once it has dried, apply a thin layer of bearing grease (GM P/N 01051344) to the hub surface and sensor o-ring, prior to sensor installation.
8) Install the original sensor or replacement sensor in the hub and make certain it is seated flush against the hub.
9) Re-check the sensor voltage while rotating the wheel as previously described. The voltage should read a minimum of 350 ACmV s.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
CHJONAS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic alot miles

I was wanting to know if you can answer my question because I have done everything that I know to do. My brake pedal goes to the floor when my truck is running I have checked for any visible leaks, bled the whole system, and installed a new master cylinder. I even went as far as cleaning out the brake calipers. Nothing seems to help the fact that I have absolutely no brake pedal. I am getting ample amount of fluid to each caliper. Is there any way to adjust the push rod on the brake booster itself? Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. It is a vacuum Brake booster, too.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
  • MERGED

Are you sure there are no leaks at the rear wheel cylenders? Have you checked the rubber brake hoses to the calipers to see if they are expanding when the brake is applied? As far as adjustment, I would suggest double checking to see if there is one on the pushrod. However, I don't believe there is on this vehicle.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
CHJONAS
  • MERGED

Four Wheel Disc Brakes. Braided Stainless lines no rubber ones. In the process of rebuilding all four calipers, but just can't figure out why the brake pedal goes to the floor. When engine is off you can pump the brakes and you can feel the pedal stiffen up but soon as you start it there is absolutely NO pedal. Everything seems to be correct by all the checks in my Haynes manual. Maybe I will stumble across it, soon I hope.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
  • MERGED

Let me know. If there is no adjustment on the pushrod and nothing is leaking, my guess is you got another bad master cylender. Brakes are really a simple system. You get a pedal, but as soon as you get the assist, you are able to push the pedal to the floor. That sounds like the MC. If there are no leaks, everything is bled, the calipers are good. Fluid then has to be bypassing in the MC.

Do you have 4 wheel disc or rear drum brakes?

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
SPCQUIGGA
  • MERGED

It sounds like air in the ABS system. I have the same issue with my truck, this is what I was told it was.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
MLTOTH2000
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

Sometimes when I make a turn into a parking spot or gas pump my brakes seem to not work. It feels like the ABS is kicking on and the pedal shakes and the truck keeps rolling. Then after a few seconds I feel the pedal go down and the brakes work. I have had some close calls and almost hit other cars. I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Most common is a wheel bearing and hub as it has in it the ABS sensor and its wheel
have to find which side

*****************************************
need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 4:31 PM