1999 Chevy Silverado Engine Cranks fires and then dies and

KRAMEBL
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I parked the vehicle running fine and replaced the steering column to try and eliminate the noise I experienced when turning to the right. After replacing the column and installing my old ignition tumblers for my key, the engine turns over fine tries to run and the second you let of the key the engine dies. Checked fuel pressure 60 lbs. Good spark it seems, and the fuel pump runs and their is good fuel quantity. Checked all the fuses and relays they test good MAP sensor when unpluged has no effect on the situation. Could it be in the BCM.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM

RHALL77
Is there a security light on? Is you ingnition switch lined up properly? You may have it off a tooth and thats why it shut off when you let off the key?
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 6:16 PM
KRAMEBL
No security light on and no codes, double checked the lineup of the tumblers it seems to be fine.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 9:09 AM
RHALL77
Not the tumblers, the ingnition switch it self.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 4:14 PM
KRAMEBL
Im sorry thats what I meant the only way I could get the ing switch in or out is to be in only one position if I rotate the slot inside the column the switch will not go back in, it seem to only go in one way.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 7:22 PM
RHALL77
With it where it is at now, can you remove the key in the lock position.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 1:10 PM
KRAMEBL
No the switch will not come out of the column.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 12:58 PM
KRAMEBL
Im sorry the key only comes out in the off position no other. Could this be a BCM issue not recognizing the Hall effect sensor in the new steering column?
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 1:08 PM
RHALL77
I think there is a problemin the ingnition switch
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 2:07 PM
KRAMEBL
Found out the problem the new column has a hall effect switch that the BCM looks at for security purposes and it was not recogonized so it went into the security mode with now display on the dash. I tore the column appart and replaced the new column switch with the old hall effect sensor and it started right up. The only other way to fix the problem was to go to someone that had a tech II programmer and reprogram the BCM, The truck would not run so I would have had a towing bill on top of the programming charge.

Thanks for the support.
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 2:20 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content