Brake lights always stay on

DASH142
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck has daylight running lights but my brake lights stay on all the time only when I step on the pedal the lights brake lights go off, oh and the 4 way flashers work when ignition key is off but when I turn the ignition key on they stop working because brake lights are on all the time but when I step on the brake peddle the brake lights go off and then the 4 way hazard lights flash also. Any help will be greatly appreciated as it is my wife's pickup and she uses it to drive our handicapped son to school and I want to keep them safe

replaced the switch but before I put the new switch in I checked the brake lights and it was still on put the new one is and they were still on. Found the DRL fuse removed that thinking it could have been a cross in the wires, Traced the wires back and unplugged the wires going back to the tail lights( brake lights) and the lights went out. Now the silverado has the full package ie multifunction control ie directional cruise control and wiper controls and high and low beam control. I did pull the brake light fuse and the lights still stayed on. Then pulled the brake light relay under the hood and the brake lights went off. Put in a new relay and the brake lights came back on. Somewhere there is power going to the backlight relay under the hood but when the ignition key is off there is no power going to it.

Any ideas? Thanks Dash142
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 9:00 PM

KEN
Hey Guys,

It sounds like the turn/hazard switch is shorted and needs to be replaced but to be sure let's check the wiring to make sure here is a guide and the brake light wiring diagrams.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, December 6th, 2016 AT 10:00 PM
REY-GTS
Thank you for this post I replace the turn signal switch and the system started working cost me $76.00 for the part.
Monday, November 5th, 2018 AT 5:24 PM
SFREEZE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My chevy 98 brake lights
wont turn off
Monday, November 5th, 2018 AT 5:25 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
That's usually caused by the brake light switch mounted under the dash at the brake pedal. It may be bad or out of adjustment.
-2
DASH142
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Problem with a 1998 chevysilverado 1500 series 4 wheel drive, brake lights stay on all the time, replaced brakelight switch and ignition switch but the brake lights sill stay on. And when stepping on brake peddle they go off, checked the relay switch under the hood and power is going to it all the time. Pull the fuse under the hood and the brake lights go out.
When I put the fuse back in and I turn on the 4 way flashers they stop working until I step on the brakes then the 4 ways work. Take my foot off then they stop working. Any ideas?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Loose or faulty ground wiring. Check ground at brake switch
WILL MAUSER
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When I step on the brake pedal the brake lights stay on except for the high third brake light goes out. When I tap the pedal a few times they usually go out. It does not happen every single time but more than not. I changed the brake switch and the tail light circut boards. I am getting very fustrated because I need the truck and cannot drive it like that. Please, if you have any ideas let me know as soon as possible. Thank you, Will
Check the stop lamp relay in under hood fuse panel see pic. It may be sticking causing the problem. Also check the ground on RH front wheel housing for relay
KEN
Will Mauser wrote:

Ok almost same question. I have a 1995 silverado. The brake lights stay on when not pushing the pedal. I replaced both rear light circuit boards, brake switch, flasher relay, tighten a loose wire going to fuse box under the hood. They don't always stay on just most of the time. Could it be the brake light relay in the engine compartment? Would that relay cause the brake lights to stay on?

I do believe it worked! The bolt on the red wire was loose. Thank you so very much as I was going absolutely crazy trying to find the problem! ! Thank you!
+1
DAVO1973
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1995 Chevy Silverado V8 Automatic

brake lights stay on except when you mash the brake pedal down, then they go off but thats when theyre suposed to be on, can you help me?
Have you checked the switch under the dash? There are two wires to it. One hot, one that receives power when the brake is depressed. Check to see if something has come disconnected on the switch.

Let me know what you find.
-1
DAVO1973
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1995 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

my brake lights stay on until I press the brake pedal then they go out. At the same time this started heater/ac blower and windsheild wipers stopped working
Have you checked the switch on the top of the brake pedal?
CHRISTOPHER60
  • 1990 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 220 MILES
Even after a new brake light switch same problem
Do the lights turn off when you press the button on the switch by hand? If so, look for a missing rubber bumper the switch is supposed to hit. Also check that the switch is adjusted properly.
MUNCLE
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
All 3 of my brake lights are stuck on.I replaced the break switch it didn't work, there even on when its disconnected.I tried disconnecting the headlight/dimmer switch and each brake light one at a time, they still stay on. The only time they go off is if I remove the relay under the hood.I tried a new relay but they were still on. When I remove the relay they tailgate lights go out but the 3rd light on the cab stays on.I tried unplugging the 3rd brake light and the back 2 were still stuck on.I have a remote star but I disconnected it and it didn't help but the brake wire its connected to has +12v's it should be -12v's. Its like there is a bad relay somewhere thats stuck but I can't find any others. HELP !
Welcome to the forum, thanks for the donation. If the brake lites are on with the switch disconnected and the connector is ok, and nothing shorted to voltage, You may need to check for backfeed from the multifunction switch.
MUNCLE
Multifunction switch? Could ya be more specific? Theres no "multifunction" switch in the book. And maybe where its located? Like under the hood? Under the dash?
MUNCLE
Umm hello are you going to help or what?
RFULTZ
Hey your multifunction switch is the lever that works your turn signals, wipers, washer, and cruise control. Hope this helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/441156_multifunction_switch_1.jpg