Reverse lights don't work

MUDRUNNER80
  • 1988 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I'm not sure what happened, they worked but lately they don't. Is there a relay, inline fuse or something in the transmission that opens the circuit? All my other lights work but reverse lights. I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:08 PM

Inspect and test the transmission position switch on the steering column under dash or could be an open wire to the bulb/bulb socket corroded

See the guide below on testing wiring, it will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

All of the wiring diagrams for you r back up lights are attached below
-1
Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:16 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1991 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Reverse lights stopped working in my 5 spd I replaced reverse switch and now there only coming on when im backing up and clutch is released and go out when I press in clutch. Help
Monday, October 29th, 2018 AT 7:03 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Re check your work. The switch may be out of position or the harness may be hitting something

ALEDRO89
  • 1989 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
We have an Manual v6 '89 Silverado RWD. The reverse lights aren't coming on when the vehicle is put into reverse. The bulbs are good, fuses are good, and power/ground are good. We bridged the two wires that lead to the back up lamp switch and the lights do come on. Is there possibly something internally wrong in the transmission where the switch goes into? Thanks for any help
ALEDRO89
Ill have to check in a few. Is this switch on manual transmission vehicles too? If that switch is bad, would the lights still get power when the backup light harness is bridged?
I screwed up sorry on a manual it's on the clutch pedal bracket
That is the neutral switch sorry again lol. Been awhile the switch for reverse is on the left side of transmission
ALEDRO89
Ok ill take a look and get back to you.
RSMJ75
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1994 chevy silverado and the reverse lights stay on when not in reverse what are my options
Check and test the back-up lamp switch at top of steering column
ALEDRO89
Haha no biggie. We tried two new switches (the one on the transmission) We also bridged the wires that lead to that switch and they turned on. What is it inside the transmission that tells the switch when its in reverse? Could that be bad?
The switch has a button tha tis pushed when it is put in gear it rides against the shifter rail to push the button in and then when out of reverse there is adetent that the ball goes into, Your truck would not be able to go into reverse if the shift rail was broken, maybe it's worn out and causing this. I would take the washer off the switch if there is one on it and put it in the trans like that without the washer to see if it will go in farther or not. Both the 4 speed an d5 speed work the same way. As long as the switch gets power and it goes through then the lights should work. Make sure to check the connection or put power to one side of switch then test other side of switch to see if power is going through, it may be just a poor connection there that is causeing your problem.