1988 Chevy Silverado code 42

CARPNTA
  • 1988 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Computer problem
1988 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

code 42 on scanner, replaced ign module, spark control module, then on the advice of expert replaced ecm. No help. With the est bypass disconnected it starts and runs great, reconnect the bypass connector revs up great. Shut the engine down restart and runs like c**p. Can the prom or calpak chip cause this or is the problem elsewhere?
this is a calif smog motor w/tbi

thanks
Thursday, January 21st, 2010 AT 9:27 PM

RACEFAN966
It seems that code 42 is related to the ground of the control module mounted on the distributor. Now what I need you to do is disconnect the 4 pin connector to the distributor and use the pic below to find pin A and check it. What you do is use a digital multi meter and ohm between term A and gound is there continuity? Get back to me with what you find. We will check the ESC Module next if this checks ok. I do need to know what size truck 1/2 ton or ? and what engine as the 305 has a different ESC then the 350 and so on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_189.jpg

Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 10:16 AM
CARPNTA
Do I check on the ign module or the connector side?

The eng is a 350. 1/2 t
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 1:17 PM
CARPNTA
Checked the a term. On the ign module, checks ok
+1
Friday, January 22nd, 2010 AT 2:16 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok so I need you find the ESC module shown in the pic below. Before we get to far with this I also need you find the knock sensor on the passanger side of the engine block see pic. Now hook up a timing light and tap the block with a hammer near the knock sensor what does the timing do?

ESC Module,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_ESC_Module_1.jpg

Knock Sensor,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_50494_1.jpg

+1
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
CARPNTA
Well I haven't been able to do that knock sensor test, nobody around to give me a hand, I can't hammer on the blk from the top to much in the way, so I just replaced it, along with the map sensor.
It's kind of frustrating it runs great with the set timing connector off. Could it be a worn out dist. It has 250K plus mi. On it?
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 5:37 PM
CARPNTA
Solved the problem myself dist. Is shot.
+1
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 7:07 PM
RACEFAN966
So the distributor shaft was worn? Great job glad it is fixed. Have a great day.
+1
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 7:17 PM