TRUCK DIED AND WONT START WHILE PARKING IT

Chevrolet

jlk

December, 21, 2006 AT 1:01 AM

1995 Chevy Silverado 4x4 V8 135,253 miles. I was driving down the freeway and the truck felt like it was cutting out, lack of fuel or oxygen or something is what it felt like. I kept on driving, I pulled into my house to grab something, left the car running, got back in and cont. To my destination. I pulled past my parking spot so I could back into it. As I was backing up the truck died and would not start again. When trying to start it, it turns over with a steady sound. It does not sound close to starting at all. It just turns over and over and over. I let it sit for about 5 min and tried again, this time it kinda spit and sputtered like it was actually trying to start but then it when back to the steady not even close to starting sound. I waited 1 1/2 hours and tried to start it again but still it just sounded like it was turning over but not trying to start. I asked a few friends what they thought it could be. And fuel pump was brought up as well as clogged fuel lines I will check those things tomorrow. Any suggestions if those aren't the answers?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

kenvcr

December, 21, 2006 AT 2:45 AM

Fuel pump. If yours is located inside the tank, have a mechanic do it for you. If you have a lot of gas in there it needs to be drained. A mechanic should have a transmission jack that he can attach it to and lower it without spilling a drop.
If it is an external fuel pump, get your ear next to it, have someone turn on the ignition, wait 10 seconds. Do you hear a little motor whiring. Then try to start.
No whirring or a really slow sounding motor, Replace the pump.
Good luck,
Let us know what happens.

PS: In tank fuel pumps get rusty from moiture in the gasoline especially if you keep less than 1/2 tank all the time. And yes they do just quit on you. Your warning sign was the sputtering & rough running.