2001 Chevy Malibu overheating problem

BAWITHEBA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Ok this is my problem
I bought the car and 3 days after I purchaced it the car got hot. The fans were not running so hey its a easy fix. Changed the relay and vola it works. But then it kep getting hot. So I hard wired the fans to come on with the turn of the key. It still got hot. I replaced the water resivor cause it didnt seam to hold the pressure of the system. I also changed the thermostat it still got hot. I completly gutted the thermostat so it would have the seal still. So basically there is no thermostat now. It still gets hot. But it takes a while like 30-40 miles or more some times. It is like a ghost sometimes its ok then other times its not. I dont know if it is the radiatior or maybe the catalic converter. Please help me.
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 6:28 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check for coolant mixing with the engine oil and vice versa. These malibus often have head gasket failures which can result in overheating.
-2
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 6:30 PM
BAWITHEBA
Ok I forgot to mention that. I read that online and my engine oil is clean no water. And with the new tank I can tell that the coolant is clean too. When the last time it went to a mechanic he checked for a head gasket problem he said it was in good condition. The problem was that while he had it there running it never got hot. And he didnt know what to do about it.
-2
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 6:37 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Does it seem to overheat moreso in heavy traffic/slow moving or on interstates /higher speeds? Are there any actual signs of overheating besides the gauge? It may simply be a faulty engine coolant temp. Sensor which is sending inaccurate reading to the gauge.
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
BAWITHEBA
It seams more in faster moving it seams to actually cool in slow traffic. The guage was actually faulty so it has a external temp guage. Non electronic just a simple guage hardwired in. And yes when it is hot it has steam comming from the bleeder valves when I open them.
-2
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 7:37 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Should have radiator flushed and checked. Slow speeds the fan can keep it cool enough, higher speeds it depends more on radiator and coolant flow, if rad. Is partially clogged it will cause restricited coolant flow
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 7:57 PM
BAWITHEBA
Thank you it is going to the shop tomorrow and im gonna discuss it with him hopfully it is the radiator and I can get it changed and be on my way. So what do you think about it being the catalic converter?
-1
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 8:15 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
A bad catalytic converter can make a car overheat by causing a backup of pressure in the cylinder head so you may want to have it flow tested as well
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 8:19 PM
BAWITHEBA
Thank you hopefully this will help with my problems
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 9:11 PM