2001 Chevy Malibu Coolant leaking, car starts most times

ELCOOL
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic 110000 miles

I took the car in because it sometimes wouldn't start, and one time it left me stranded. So I wanted to see what need to be repaired. But I'm gonna be getting rid of it hopefully soon, so I don't want to waste any more money on it.

For now, every week I am adding water to the coolant, since its been leaking for the last 2 months. The first time I noticed this, was because the car heated up and just stopped in the road. Now, the car runs but the fan keeps making noises, mostly when I'm stopped. And I think one of the fans sometimes doesn't even start or starts after a while.

So, they called me and told me that it was a joint between the coolant and the motor that needed to be fixed, the thermostat needed to be fixed, the motor belt replaced, and also to do a full system flush. All of this for $600, probably more.
I told him I just wanted the car to run for a few more weeks without spending that much money.

Do I really need all of those repairs?
I can do without the dashboard telling me the motor temp, so do I need the thermostat replaced?

I also asked about a hose with the coolant, but it's not a hose, its the joint and he said it's leaking water into the motor.

Hope you can help. Thanks!
Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 AT 7:54 AM

RACEFAN966
This all depends on how long you plan on keeping it and weather or not you plan on trading it in or selling it yourself. The coolant leak is a must and so it the thermostat if you are having such heating and leaking problems. The belt I can't say need to see it and as for flushing also depends I need to see what the coolant that came out of it looks like.
Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 AT 10:11 AM