1998 Chevy Malibu 98 Chevy Malibu coolant leak

CAMOMIA
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic

My engine started overheating a few days back and I noticed a leak in the upper hose. I changed it, still overheated so I replaced the thermostat. I was filling it with coolant and noticed after a few minutes that the coolant was running out onto the ground. I checked the hose and noticed a steady stream of liquid flowing in front of, but to the left of where I just had replaced the thermostat and it seemed to be running from somewhere in the block. I've been told leak in the intake possibly, but someone also mentioned the freeze plugs. I have no idea what the or where the freeze plugs are. Where are they located and is it something I could fix myself, if it is in fact the problem. Any recommendations, help, instructions would be greatly appreciated !
Thursday, March 19th, 2009 AT 11:11 PM

EUGENE123
Suspect an intake gasket leak or head gaskets if the leak is toward the bottom of the block then you have a blowed head gasket if the leak is toward the top of the motor its intake gaskets as far as freeze out plugs leaking that is possible but highy unliklely on these types of motors
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 1:53 AM
M_H_RITZEL
If the hose leaked before you put the thermastat in and was not leaking from any where else at that time after you put the new thermastat in then you noticed it leaking when you filled it I would take another look at the housing that holds the thermastat in place. When replacing the thermastar all the old gasket needs to be removed before you put the new thermastat and gasket on. I have learned this y experience. I once did not clean the area and as soon as I put fluid in it the fluid would leak out. Not saying this is the problem but just something to look at.
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM